2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

White screen and poor performance on HP laptop

Envy 17 1011nr
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello tech-savvy people,
My brother's laptop (a HP Envy 17 1011nr; http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c02858572 ) is having lots of problems lately. First off, at start up the screen goes white for a few seconds then it seems to recover and shows the desktop normally. Also sometimes the OS freezes trying to execute programs like Excel or Chrome when viewing Google Maps. What always happens is that when playing Minecraft or Doom 3 it crashes within the minute: sound stops, screen goes black and then a CTD with display brightness at max. However, less demanding games like Starcraft and AoE II run fine.
I've tried every option I could think of: I've replaced the HDD for a new SSD and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7, I've disassembled the entire laptop for dust cleaning and replaced both CPU and GPU thermal paste. In addition, I've tried countless GPU drivers, tested memory and CPU (OK) and GPU (UserBenchmark freezes, I didn't want to risk it with Furmark) Temperatures tested with Afterburner never went above 85°C.
So, here's the question: Should I throw to the trash a $800 laptop for GPU failure or there's something else to do?
Thanks in advance guys.

2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
41,351 39,807 6,212 10,785
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The driver download page for that laptop should have an option to download UEFI and either install it on the laptop or make a bootable UEFI hardware diagnostic disk. It will test the video chip memory and let you know if it is bad. 

It may have been an $800 laptop 6 years ago but is worth a lot less now and has provided good service. The motherboard could be replaced for maybe $200 and it sounds like you have the skills to do that. 6 or 7 years is acceptable service life for a laptop. 

UEFI:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp51501-52000/sp51865.exe

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos
roxlet Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Huffer, 

Thanks to your reply. I've followed your advice and run the UEFI hardware diagnostic through a hard drive partition. All tests passed. Could a BIOS update make some improvement?

I am aware that it's a fairly old laptop (I've bought it 5 years ago and gave it to my brother 2 years ago), maybe I'm little bit attached to it. But yes, probably I could try replacing the motherboard (by the way, do you know a trusted site to buy it?)

Thanks

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation