Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
youngfinn
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why is HP not offering the Precision Touchpad Drivers from Microsoft as an option for Spectre

hp spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey HP & Community,

The title pretty much sums up my question. I mean, the hack works really well, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware condition.

Is this a business decision that they might have a deal with Synaptics where they have to provide the Synaptics drivers?

Or is the whole process of offering a driver download for their products (testing compatibility and all the stuff they would have to do in legal terms, warranty, etc.) not as easy as it sounds to me?

I just can't imagine that it's just lazyness, there has got to be something. Would this move actually be a big deal?

Maybe they would have to spend money, but don't get any from, might that be a reason?

I was just wondering, because the experience is really different and much better with the precision drivers, so I'd love some insight.

Greetings!

-Finn

3 REPLIES 3
Level 19
Level 19
79,936 79,831 9,894 21,353
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why is HP not offering the Precision Touchpad Drivers from Microsoft as an option for Spectre

@youngfinn

Thanks for the info. I believe I can sum up: they are TWO different companies and in many cases agrrements between 2 or 3 parties are more complicated than we thought.

Users can try at their own risk.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Level 11
Level 11
2,453 2,394 294 915
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have to agree with youngfinn that it is a complete disappointment that a ~$1500+ laptop does not have Windows Precision drivers. 

Windows Precision drivers should be considered as the most fundamental touchpad support. My relative's ~$400 Acer Swift 1 feels like a god when doing simple tasks just because of better touchpad support.

BTW be careful with the hack as I believe it may or may not break down with some updates.

I'm hoping HP can start switching it up sooner or later. 

Cheers,

Eddy

0 Kudos
youngfinn
4 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I mean I there might be some users who even prefer the Synaptics drivers, but just offering the precision as a supported option that doesn’t break when updating, etc. would be nice.

But I’m not too worried about breaking it, as I have a couple of restore points and stuff like that.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation