Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@barrettken wrote:

I had a live chat session with HP support and they said they were working on new software to support switchable graphics.   

did they specifiy which graphic cards ? or in general all switchable graphics on all models ?

HP Recommended

I got everything working on my DV6-6180us, including switchable graphics.

This is with HD3000 and ATI 6770m, Windows 8 Pro.

This applies to:

Envy 14-2xxx, Envy15-3xxx, Envy17-2xxx (Intel), Envy 17-3xxx (Intel)

dv4-5xxx, dv6-4xxx, dv6-6xxx, dv6-7xxx, dv7-5xxx, dv7-6xxx, dv7-7xxx

m7-1xxx (Intel Ivy)

Here's how:

(Skip if you did a clean install of windows 😎

-In control panel select uninstall AMD Catalyst Install Manager

-Select the 3rd option, express uninstall all AMD software

-Reboot

(Do this if you have previous drivers, Eg. You upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 8.  Even if you don't it doesn't hurt)

Download Driver Fusion (http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion), install it

-Select both Intel and AMD, click delete at the bottom

-Reboot

Download Windows 8 switchable drivers here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-drivers-software-forum/

Select your model from the sticky (In my case dv6-6xxx)

---> How to find your model number? http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07555

**If there are reference drivers, download those now**

Make sure you download the correct drivers for your model!

-Install the HP drivers with combined Intel and AMD drivers

-Reboot

If you don't have reference drivers, you're done.

**Reference drivers**

-In control panel again, select uninstall AMD Catalyst Install Manager

-Select the FIRST option (Uninstall Manager)

-Select all ATI components EXCEPT AMD Display driver

DO NOT TOUCH THE INTEL DRIVERS OR THE AMD DISPLAY DRIVERS

-Install the AMD reference drivers.

Enjoy.  Hope this helps someone.

HP Recommended

@scottdanpor wrote:

I got everything working on my DV6-6180us, including switchable graphics.

just to confirm, are these drivers original ? or hacked just like leshcat's ones ?

please confirm

HP Recommended

These are signed drivers from HP, not Leshcat's or 3rd party.

HP Recommended

Chaand did you get yours working?  If not here's something you can try.

The switching ability is part of the Intel graphics drivers.  So follow the Reference drivers section of my post and install your windows 8 ATI drivers from here:

http://www2.ati.com/Drivers/mobile/12-10_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4.exe <-64 bit

http://www2.ati.com/Drivers/mobile/12-10_mobility_vista_win7_win8_32_dd_ccc_whql_net4.exe <-32 bit

That should keep your intel graphics intact, update your ATI drivers and hopefully retain the switching ability.

Otherwise, just go with Leshcat's.  His drivers are good, though it leaves a watermark on your desktop saying that windows is in "test mode".  Though I hear there are ways to get rid of that as well.

*On second thought, I don't think you will have the switchable ability with windows 8.  You would have to set your BIOS to fixed.  Leshcat's drivers should work.

HP Recommended

Maybe you guys can help me out.  I have a 2011 HP Pavilion dv7-4285dx with Windows 7 64 bit Home premium installed. The notebook/laptop has a AMD Radeon HD 6300M series display adapter with driver version 9.2.2.0 dated 9/27/2012 and an ATI technologies Intel HD Graphics display adapter with driver version 8.7771.1.0. The notebook/laptop has not had a hardware upgrade and contiains the orignal factory OS. BIOS is current to latest available.

Microsoft Tier 2 support remoted in and installed Win 8 and worked with the computer remotely for three hours last night.. Black screen on my end and the tech could see everything fine.  Bottom line is they were unable to resolve the issue even working within Windows 8.  I have seen a lot of solutions here, but none for my specific model.  HP Tech support also said drivers are in the works at a date TBA..potentially in 2013.  Anyone have any workable solutions?  Besides what the Microsoft tech did via remote, I tried these other methods-all failed.  Any other suggestions would be great!  Thanks, JJ

I attempted the following workarounds:

The issue I had while upgrading to Windows 8 is after the install finalizes (settings and preferences are entered) and the system boots to the tiles screen, the display works fine. Clicking to the desktop works only for a few moments before the screen goes dark. Pressing the power button and/or closing/opening the lid results in at times a black screen (no power to the screen) or black screen (power to the screen) or a black screen where only the mouse pointer is visible and moves around the screen. Restarting the computer results in a repeat of the issue at times while other times it will boot directly to what appears to be the windows desktop. You can interact with the file folder icon on the task bar as well as internet explorer, and you can get the charms bar and tile screen. Any attempt to open computer management or any control panel or task manager will open the window as an icon on the task bar. You can mouseover the icon to "preview" a small version of the window but you can not click on it to maximize.

1) Clean install of Windows 8: Installs but fails with same result as above

Refresh PC from windows 8 rescue media: Works slightly longer until AMD driver fails and then reverts to situation above.

2) Uninstalling all display adapters (via computer management) and then upgrading to Windows 8: Results in microsoft drivers getting installed, works much as refresh above until AMD driver fails and then reverts to above situation.

3) In Scenarios 1 and 2, I also tried to use windows update within Win8 to update the drivers there are updated MS drivers available ,(dated as late as 10/27/2012) but intalling those drivers also resulted in a failure of the adapter within a short period of time as did NOT updating the drivers.

4) Disabling display adapters and then restarting: Results in a BSOD (Blue Screen) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop: 0x0000000A error during boot as the OS runs into trouble with the driver before Windows 7 boots. This happens if one or both drivers are disabled.

5) Disabling display adapters before in-place upgrade to Windows 8 results in the Windows 8 equivalent of a BSOD and results in the system shutting down and then reverting to Windows 7.

Through research, I determined some ppl had luck connecting another monitor/HD TV through VGA/HDMI and then using the function-screen button to switch, with my system this resulted in the same issue displayed on the TV/Monitor. There are also updates to ATI and Catalyst center available including drivers and installing these do not remedy the issue. Intel was checked and there are no drivers available as HP uses a "custom" driver for intel. Attempting to install any of these Intel drivers will result in a fail with a compatiblity error.

Windows 8 has no safe mode ability from the windows 8 rescue media disk, you cannot F-8 as you could in the preview. Safe mode must be reached via charms, settings, startup and then selecting safe mode as a boot option, which is not available as the display adapter malfunctions. In those scenarios where I was able to get a windows desktop to boot up as in the first paragaph I can get to the restart settings via charms, but clicking to bring up the restart menu requires another window to open which is only visible as a "preview" on the windows task bar.

HP Recommended

Have you tried setting your BIOS display setting to fixed?  All that means is it uses the Intel on battery and the ATI when plugged in.  You can restart the computer on battery/plugged in and see if one works better. 

Maybe you could run with intel drivers (scenario 2) and then plug in and update the ATI drivers.  At least you could have one or the other working (hopefully).

HP Recommended

@scottdanpor wrote:
*On second thought, I don't think you will have the switchable ability with windows 8.  You would have to set your BIOS to fixed.  Leshcat's drivers should work.

Many thanks for your reply.

something i couldn't understand. Why should I install leshcat's drivers if I'm gonna fix the AMD card?

HP Recommended

Either way you can have updated AMD drivers, but only Leshcat's will allow switching based on what program is run.  Meaning, the "Configure switchable graphics" option (with BIOS set to dynamic).

Without Leshcat's drivers, you might be stuck with having to set the graphics to "fixed" in BIOS meaning you switch by plugging or unplugging the laptop.

HP Recommended

Hi, i have a DV6-3090BR laptop and i installed windows 8 because this support for touch screen. The issue of graphics driver affected me too (in my case, 4250+5650), only the 4250 works with the windows 8 native drivers. Last released Catalyst from AMD don't work, it's worse than w8 driver, then i try a last shoot and installed the HP driver for windows 7. In a first moment, the installation package don't run, then i ran it in windows 7 compatibility mode. It works flawless! The catalyst included in package works perfectly and the bright control on keyboard too! 

Sorry for my poor english.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.