Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17-ce0014na Laptop 2019 Edition
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've bought a new HP laptop - HP ENVY 17-ce0014na Laptop 2019 Edition.

The screen has a yellowish hue, so white appears as pale yellow/brown/green.

This is the fourth HP 17" laptop I've owned, going back over 15 years. The second one I bought had a yellow hue, but not as pronounced as this. 

I have my HP Envy 17" from five years go - the equivalent version of this new one - set up beside it. Comparing the two, the older one is a better display - there is no color bias, so white appears white, not pale yellow. The yellow tint of this new one also makes it slightly more difficult to read text.

I've been looking online for solutions, and have tried color calibration and turning off night light. However, it's looking like the screen is built this way, so hardware, not software.

I don't think I can handle having a yellow tint on all my computer use for the next five years or so.  So I think I'm going to have to return the laptop for a refund (which I am within my rights to do, according to HP returns policy).

So I'm disappointed with the purchase. I don't get it, though. Why does it have a yellow tint? How can a screen be worse five years later? Why are HP releasing a premium laptop with a screen with a significant color tint/bias? Is this an issue with a particular batch of this model, or are all of them like this? Why would anyone want a laptop with a strong yellow tint/color bias?

I really need a new laptop, and am unsure of what to do next. I'd really like to get another 17" HP Envy. I don't know whether it's worth trying to get another one of these laptops, wait until the 2020 version comes out, or finally buy a non-HP laptop.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I'll sleep on it and see if it's something I get used to/can live with before making a decision.

HP Recommended

I'm getting used to the new laptop's display, so I'm going to keep it.

The difference between the five-year-old HP Envy and the new one is a bit like the difference between a white LED light, and a yellowish incandescent light. The older display feels as though it's giving a purer/more accurate rendition of color, while the yellowishness of the new one gives it a "warmer" feel. This also makes the colors of the new one feel slightly over-saturated.

Overall, though, think it's okay.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.