Intern
25 0 12
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

active stylus with spectre x360

Spectre x360 - 13t-4200 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I received my HP Spectre x360 - 13t-4200 CTO one week ago as well as a new HP Active Stylus.  I purchased both directly from HP.  I have tried four times with tech support to help me get the stylus to work.  Despite being assured that the stylus in indeed compatible with this laptop, they have not gotten it to work.

The only solution they have come up with is to reset the computer to factory settings wiping out everything I have spent hours doing to migrate to this new laptop.  In asking them what doing the reset will resolve, they do not know, but that is the fallback answer.  I have received so much conflicting and silly information from tech support staff who actually are not famililar at all with the problem.  They have updated the Intel video drivers and attempted to install firmware for the 15" Spectre but still no success.

Does anybody know the steps to getting the stylus setup?

Thanks very much.

12 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 178 334
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there. Thanks for posting. I would like to help. I would like to know if you have any driver called "Synaptics Digitizer" installed on the PC?. Did you receive any driver discs along with the stylus pen?. Please share the details.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Intern
Intern
25 0 12
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for getting back to me.  There is a Synaptics Clickpad Driver installed, but no digitizer.  And I did not receive any disks with the laptop.  There is a recovery partition that I'm sure has drivers on it.  Nor did I receive any drivers with the HP Active Stylus (product #J4R51AA#ABL)

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 178 334
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

Ideally, it should work as soon as it comes in contact with the touchscreen.

Try using the stylus on the screen and check if it works.

Also, perform the calibration of the touchscreen with the stylus following the steps from the link below.

I will watch for your response.

Resolv_S
I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up to say Thanks for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Intern
Intern
25 0 12
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks again.  I can use the touch screen with my fingers but not the stylus.  I have gone into the calibration page and clicking the crosshairs with the stylus does nothing, but I can with my finger.

I am hearing from others on the web that the 13" Spectre x360 laptops aren't shipping with the correct firmware installed.

Anyway to verify if that is correct?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 178 334
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I suggest you to try running the software from the link and check if that helps

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70001-70500/sp70147.exe

Resolv_S
Glad to help you.

I work for HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

Intern
Intern
25 0 12
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was able to install the software and confirmed it did install correctly.  I can launch the app and the settings come up, but nothing with the stylus works.  I even have an old non-active stylus (basically a small plastic stick from my old Jornada days!) and the touch screen does not recognize anything at all about either styli.  But my fingers on the touch screeen are working perfectly.

I'm frustrated, but remain thankful for the help and attention.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 178 334
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is the tip of the pen movable? If yes, try applying little pressure and try to press on any actionable icons like closing the screen etc..

Also check if you have removed the insulation tab from the battery compartment of the pen.

Resolv_S
Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

Intern
Intern
25 0 12
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, the tip moves in and out and I can apply pressure enough for the tip to be fully depressed.  I double checked and there is nothing blocking either terminal end of the battery.  I have tried a number of different tests on actionable buttons or simply scribbling in Paint but it makes no recognition of the stylus.  I have tried both buttons and yet, no joy.

Other than inserting a new battery, I am not sure how to else to test if the stylus is funtioning properly.  But I go back to the issue that other users are having the same problem with the 13" Spectre X360.  There is an updated firmware file for the 15" (sp74835 & sp74836) model but nothing available for the 13". 

Could it be that there is a firmware for the 13" model forthcoming?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 178 334
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please try the Softpaqs you have checked. I also verified the same. Depending on the display type you have (Full HD or Ultra HD), download and run the patches and check which one works best.

Let me know how it goes.

Resolv_S
Glad to help you. I work for HP

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation