Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
probook 470 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to install a 2nd HDD on my ProBook 470 G5

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So you already have two disks.

I took a look at the part location images and seee that there does not appear to be a space for a 2nd hard disk or a caddy. 

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/Media/FEEDDE7B-A619-44A7-9176-E8EC9DC8D977/raz_pl/index.html#

I take it that the 128GB SSD is the boot disk.

Replacing the 1TB spinner disk with a 3GB disk would likely be the best option.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

What is the current storage drive configuration?

You can install a PCIe, NVME (TLC)  M.2 2280 SSD (NGFF) as primary storage

As secondary storage you can install a SATA, 7 mm/9.5 mm, 2.5 inch hard drive.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.

To your question. Installed is 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD. On my last Laptop, I was able to put a second HDD in and my thought was to do the same with the Probook.

HP Recommended

So you already have two disks.

I took a look at the part location images and seee that there does not appear to be a space for a 2nd hard disk or a caddy. 

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/Media/FEEDDE7B-A619-44A7-9176-E8EC9DC8D977/raz_pl/index.html#

I take it that the 128GB SSD is the boot disk.

Replacing the 1TB spinner disk with a 3GB disk would likely be the best option.

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

for HP Probook 470 G5, I believe that you would need to get the 2.5in caddy/bracket to install and additional 2.5in drive *** if system is installed with m.2 SSD?

HP Recommended

@Jeni_Champ wrote:

Hi Erico,

for HP Probook 470 G5, I believe that you would need to get the 2.5in caddy/bracket to install and additional 2.5in drive *** if system is installed with m.2 SSD?

That would be possibly, but with what reason? The current configuration with an M.2 boot disk and a legacy SATA hard disk is a modern configuration. Adding a  third hard disk in a caddy would serve what point if he already has upgraded the second 1TB hard disk to a 3GB spinner or 1TB SATA3 SSD?  It would not be what he was interested in the first place.

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

actually mine is a general question only! I was asking if we will still need to purchase the 2.5in drive caddy(or hard drive hardwre kit- as what HP calls it) separately ifwe are doing a drive upgrade.

Example:

My HP Probook 470 G5 is pre-configured with M.2 out of the box. and i would like to add 2.5in drive .  should I get the bracket or does HP got those bracket added in the system already.?

thank you 

HP Recommended

@Jeni_Champ

In the case of your example, you would need to procure the hard disk hardware kit.

Hard Drive Hardware Kit  L00837-001
The kit is delivered with a hard drive cover and service door panel

I hope that does help you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.