Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
HP Recommended
probook 470 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to install a 2nd HDD on my ProBook 470 G5

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So you already have two disks.

I took a look at the part location images and seee that there does not appear to be a space for a 2nd hard disk or a caddy. 

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/Media/FEEDDE7B-A619-44A7-9176-E8EC9DC8D977/raz_pl/index.html#

I take it that the 128GB SSD is the boot disk.

Replacing the 1TB spinner disk with a 3GB disk would likely be the best option.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

What is the current storage drive configuration?

You can install a PCIe, NVME (TLC)  M.2 2280 SSD (NGFF) as primary storage

As secondary storage you can install a SATA, 7 mm/9.5 mm, 2.5 inch hard drive.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.

To your question. Installed is 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD. On my last Laptop, I was able to put a second HDD in and my thought was to do the same with the Probook.

HP Recommended

So you already have two disks.

I took a look at the part location images and seee that there does not appear to be a space for a 2nd hard disk or a caddy. 

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/Media/FEEDDE7B-A619-44A7-9176-E8EC9DC8D977/raz_pl/index.html#

I take it that the 128GB SSD is the boot disk.

Replacing the 1TB spinner disk with a 3GB disk would likely be the best option.

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

for HP Probook 470 G5, I believe that you would need to get the 2.5in caddy/bracket to install and additional 2.5in drive *** if system is installed with m.2 SSD?

HP Recommended

@Jeni_Champ wrote:

Hi Erico,

for HP Probook 470 G5, I believe that you would need to get the 2.5in caddy/bracket to install and additional 2.5in drive *** if system is installed with m.2 SSD?

That would be possibly, but with what reason? The current configuration with an M.2 boot disk and a legacy SATA hard disk is a modern configuration. Adding a  third hard disk in a caddy would serve what point if he already has upgraded the second 1TB hard disk to a 3GB spinner or 1TB SATA3 SSD?  It would not be what he was interested in the first place.

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

actually mine is a general question only! I was asking if we will still need to purchase the 2.5in drive caddy(or hard drive hardwre kit- as what HP calls it) separately ifwe are doing a drive upgrade.

Example:

My HP Probook 470 G5 is pre-configured with M.2 out of the box. and i would like to add 2.5in drive .  should I get the bracket or does HP got those bracket added in the system already.?

thank you 

HP Recommended

@Jeni_Champ

In the case of your example, you would need to procure the hard disk hardware kit.

Hard Drive Hardware Kit  L00837-001
The kit is delivered with a hard drive cover and service door panel

I hope that does help you.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.