Zardoz64
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

broken left hinge on HP Envy Touchsmart 17-J178CA Notebook

HP Envy Touchsmart 17-J178CA Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The left hinge on my HP Envy Touchsmart 17-J178CA Notebook broke yesterday, leaving lots of little broken pieces of black plastic inside the notebook (I believe these are the remnants of what the hinge screws into).  The notebook was purchased in April 2015 directly from HP online and is no longer under warranty.  I have seen several posts in this forum and elsewhere on the Internet regarding similar issues with HP Envy notebooks (I would have added my post to one of the earlier posts but I cannot figure out how to reply to other posts on this forum).  This has been a great notebook during the last four years.  Of all the things that could possibly go wrong, the hinge was not even on my radar.  This was totally unexpected and caught me completely off-guard.  I am not really sure what to do.  I can fix most things but this seems to be beyond a simple fix and I am not even sure what parts would need to be ordered and whether the required parts are even available.  Is there a fix available for this?  Thank you very much.  Michael   

1 REPLY 1
19,205 14,540 300 1,137
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

broken left hinge on HP Envy Touchsmart 17-J178CA Notebook

@Zardoz64

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation