cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

cd/dvd player stopped working after Microsoft update

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a recent Microsoft update, the cd/dvd player on my computer has stopped working.  Previously, it worked just fine.

When I checked in the device status, it says "This device is working properly."  However, when I put in a dvd, it spins a little and then a pop up box tells me to insert a disc into drive E.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the video graphics, etc., but to no avail.  In addition, I tried to update the drivers and that still did not work.  (The cd/dvd drive is listed as hp DVDRW SU 208GB SATA in properties.)  I have also tried to play an audio cd, but that doesn't work either.  

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
1,071 1,006 54 138
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @RedRover60,

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

I have read your post and understand that the CD drive is no longer working on your HP Pavilion 17 Notebook. I want to help you resolve this issue.

First, please perform a hard reset. Once the notebook is back on, follow this troubleshooting document:

HP PCs - CD/DVD Drive Is Not Detected (Windows 10, 😎

For more specific information, please provide the product number.

Finding Your HP Product Number

I look forward to the results! If this information is useful, click the thumbs up.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The product number for my HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC is G6R30UAR#ABA.  

I have tried the suggested solutions, but to no avail.  When I checked to see if the cd/dvd drive was working, I get the message that says it is working properly.  

Am I correct in thinking that when I open the cd/dvd drive and insert a disc, the cd/dvd player should start working?  Could there be something wrong with the cyberlink device?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
1,071 1,006 54 138
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @RedRover60,

Thank you for the reply!

So it appears that the hardware is functioning as it's supposed to, the software is not reading the disc correctly.

Give this document a go, it has to do with the software and driver side of the operation:

HP PCs - Drive Cannot Read Discs (Windows 10, 😎

Also, while the document has you in the device manager; it would be helpful to collect the DVD/CD Drive software version. Right-click on the device > go to properties > then the driver tab, it should have the version there.

Let me know how it goes!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation