Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario v6719
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

This notebook has had barely any use in its lifetime and I want to get it as operational as I can. The display has always been poor, the icons stretched and the screen generally a bit blurry.  the previous owner did not mind it but I am hoping there is something I can do to improve it.  Would upgrading the BIOS help  maybe?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you are running W7 on that model, most likely all you need to do is to install the Vista graphics driver.

This package contains the driver for the NVIDIA GeForce Series video chip in the supported notebook models and operating systems.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp42501-43000/sp42635.exe

Download and run the above driver.  Most of the time you will get an unsupported operating system error.

If you do, close out of any error windows.

Go to the device manager and click on the Video Controller needing the driver.  It may also be listed under the Display Adapters device manager category as a Standard VGA Adapter.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.   Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp42635.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

If you see that you are missing any other drivers in the device manager, let me know, and I will post the links to the drivers you need for those devices as well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you are running W7 on that model, most likely all you need to do is to install the Vista graphics driver.

This package contains the driver for the NVIDIA GeForce Series video chip in the supported notebook models and operating systems.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp42501-43000/sp42635.exe

Download and run the above driver.  Most of the time you will get an unsupported operating system error.

If you do, close out of any error windows.

Go to the device manager and click on the Video Controller needing the driver.  It may also be listed under the Display Adapters device manager category as a Standard VGA Adapter.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.   Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp42635.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

If you see that you are missing any other drivers in the device manager, let me know, and I will post the links to the drivers you need for those devices as well.

HP Recommended

thank you very much.  Display is  now working as it should and is nice and clear.   Much appreciated.  I don't know if you only address appearance problems but I did post in another section but am still wondering!!  I want to upgrade the RAM from 2GB to 4GB but just can't find any definitive answer as to whether this notebook can support 4 GB.  I have been trawling through all the HP support pages but no luck.  Would you by any chance know the answer?

In any case, thanks for your clear instgructions and help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The service manual for your notebook indicates that it can take 2 x 2 GB of PC2-5300 memory (although I would install 2 x 2 GB of PC2-6400 -- 800 MHz memory).  See chapter 1, page 2.

I think the nVidia chipset can actually run the memory at 800 MHz, so why slow it down?

In any event, PC2-6400 memory wouldn't cost any more than PC2-5300 memory, and it would be backward compatible to 667 MHz

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295079

HP Recommended

Thanks ,  I will do as suggested,  should end up with a half decent machine.  By posting in  forums and getting such helpful advice I have saved myself a heap of money and have always been able to fix problems myself.   I look after my  family  and friend's computers as well and I could not do anything without the priceless help and input from kind people such as yourself.

I am very grateful.

Gaye

HP Recommended

Anytime, Gaye.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.