Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi, 

This auto brightness problem is been bothring me for a long time now, and i can't find any fix for it at all 😞 

the display goes: 

- Bright  when having on screen a white web page, document, picture  

- and it display dims down when having on screen a dark web page/ documente or picture 

i tried everything i can find in forums to stop it but no success at all :'( 

Note 1: 

I changed the settings and Turn off Auto Brightness in windows 8 advaced power plan settings 

1.png

Note 2: 

i tried to go disable the AMD  Vari-Bright but the windows 8 AMD catalyse controle center, but it doesn't have that option to turn in off 😕 

2.png

Note 3: 

I did disable the Sensor Monitoring Service in services.msc menu .. but still didn't do the trick 😕 

3.png

Note 4: 

i did disabled Intel Display Power saving Technology in intel's graphic and media Control Panel and .. with all this, still, the auto brithtness problem isn't solved 😕 

4.png

now .. i really have no idea what to do, with all this attepemts and still can't get rid of it, i start losing hope i can use my laptop without the screen changing brighness on its own, watching a movie and browsing the web with the screen flickers to adapte to the background, its a terrible situation, i just can't see why HP or other gpu manufacturesee this as solution to anything, its just a continuous headache that i can't get rid of

Please, i need your help guys, if someone found a solution to this .. tell me (and the others who might have the same problem) how to solve it

Thanks a lot 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Found a solution that worked for me (because it was also driving me crazy).

I'm on an HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC with Intel HD Graphics (4600):

Right click on desktop

Select 'Graphic Properties' (to adjust Intel Graphics settings)

Select 'Power'

Click on 'On Battery'

Turn OFF 'Display Power Saving Technology'

I did this while on battery power and it fixed the issue immediately. Switched to AC, and it was still stable.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi imadous,

I would like to assist you with the issue of Auto Brightness on your computer running Windows 8. Would you be able to change the "Power Plan" to High Performance and let me know if this resolves the issue? http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows-8/power-plans-faq

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hi 

Thanks a lot for your respond, Yes!, first thing i did, i always work in High Performance Plane and yeah, i still experince the auto Brightness issue 😕 

as you're in HP sir, i like to ask you, does HP has any software (like in Sony laptops or other laptops) that is hidden and could possibly be the responsible for the auto-brightness, i looked for all the HP software pre-installed in my laptop and couldn't find any that is related to screen or brightness, 

my second thought, is that probably, AMD Vari-Bright is actualy ACTIVE, AMD just took down ablity to disable it but in reality its there and active and its the one causing it

do you know of any way to disable AMD Vari-Bright without using AMD catalyse controle center

HP Recommended

Hi imadous,

It seems like you've tried just about everything, except for one place that I didn't see a screenshot of. Try the following steps:

1. Move the mouse cursor to the upper or lower right corner of the screen to see the Charms bar.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Change PC Settings.
  4. Click General (Left side).
  5. Look for "Adjust my screen brightness automatically".
  6. Move the slider to the left to disable.

http://goo.gl/Yvyopg

Hope this works!

Thank you,

HP Recommended

HI 🙂

Thanks again for your responed 

i .. uh, yeah, i did check there before, but it seems Microsoft took down that feature, here a screenshot from my pc: 

5.png

one thing about the brightness problem i forget to mention before, it seems it kicks in when i turn on my laptop when it was turned off, i have to restart again to get rid of it .. not really sure why, but that's what i noticed. (its also kicks in when i use the battry i guess) 

HP Recommended

Hello imadous,

Would you be able to reply back with the model/product of your HP notebook so I can look into this further?

Thank you,

HP Recommended

Hi I have the same problem, I too had tried all the ways except for the one you mentioned. But on my HP Pavilion g6 laptop: I don't even have those options. Please advise

Untitled.png

HP Recommended

Hi gingerbiscuitma, I have found a link that is a NONE HP supported site but it does give step by step instructions on how to disable the Auto Brightness settings in windows 8.  Please click on the link that I have provided and follow the on line instructions.      http://thetechjournal.com/how-to/tutorial-how-to-disable-auto-brightness-in-windows-8.xhtml

Hope this helps

Thanks in advance

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
wow...none of all this worked for me for the same problem ! and wow ur last solution #Waterboy71 really did it ! (sarcastic) i will quote #imadous : Note 1:

I changed the settings and Turn off Auto Brightness in windows 8 advaced power plan settings

so now i am like duh ! did u even read this page or u just googled it and u copy pasted one of googles useless solutions ! which he already tried WE ALL DID u guys better fix this crap we all already googled it too and hey guess what they dont know how to fix it ! so what about since u guys "work for HP" to fix it for us ! since its a pain in the butt ! or wait u guys dont use HP laptops ? fix it or find us who can fix it in HP the whole company !
HP Recommended

I know this is to late and you may have solved your problem. This is for those who still have this problem. If you got an integrated Intel HD GPU, look for the Intel HD Graphics Driver. If installed, uninstall it. This driver have something called gamma correction that wont be disabled (I could not figure it out)

This is a picture I found on google that show how it should look like. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/58663i578E4B349E1B0D92/image-size/original?v=...

The Native Windows 8 display driver are capable of running desktop graphics just fine without this driver. NOTE: this is only an option if you have a dedicated GPU besides the integrated GPU. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.