Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

how to stop screen from changing size every time I touch cursor

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

This is just a wild guess, but do you have Magnifier turned on? It's an Ease of Access feature in Windows that will magnify your screen, or parts of your screen depending on the view. To turn off Magnifier in Windows 7, press the Esc + Windows logo keys.

If that isn't the problem, please respond with more details: What is your operating system? When did this problem begin, and do you remember making any changes before it started? Please describe in detail how the screen size changes.

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
HP Recommended

This happens to me, too. As I am moving my cursor to the scrollbar on the right, the screen will get larger or smaller.  Not sure what I am doing, but it is really annoying.  This happens when online and I use Firefox.  I have to say, Windows 8 is awful and such a nightmare to try and use.  I don't even use any of the neat, new features because I can't figure out how to.

Thanks for any help on this issue, though.  I can hardly see my bank account info anymore, it is so small...

HP Recommended

panda9777--I'm sorry, I have no idea what could be causing that. So it's only in Firefox? What happens if you try a different browser?

Does it still change sizes if you scroll using the scroll wheel on your mouse, rather than the scroll bar in the browser? After it changes size on you, what happens if you type Ctrl and + or - ? (Typically Ctrl and + will zoom in, Ctrl and - will zoom out).

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with Windows 8. It is a lot to get used to. HP has a very thorough support document that might help you become more familiar with some of the features: Learning About Windows 8

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
HP Recommended

On a new  computer, I have had exactly the same problem.   It seems at last to have stopped since I  changed the touchpad settings (in Control Panel search for "touchpad") to enable scrolling.  It seems that, without scrolling enabled, the touchpad was interpreting left or right movements as zoom instructions.  I hope the remedy will continue to work for me - it is too early to be sure - and that this remark may be helpful to others.

@poppa3504 wrote:

how to stop screen from changing size every time I touch cursor

HP Recommended

The problem has not gone away.  It still occurs from time to time.  The effect, as described above (an unintended change of the size of the screen font), occurs perhaps only when editing text.  On a browser not being edited, the unintended effect is that which you get (in Windows 8.1) by going to the top or bottom of the right edge of the screen and moving down or up.  I can with certainty neither provoke nor avoid this effect,  but I can more easily get it to  occur, if (from any part of the screen) I swipe leftward twice in succession.

HP Recommended

If you're using Windows 8 it has to do with the mouse. Go to Control Panel - Mouse - Click Pad Settings. Uncheck pinch zoom then appy.

HP Recommended

I have waited a few days to be sure and can now say with certainty that unchecking the pinch zoom in Control Panel /Hardware and Sound /Synaptics TouchPad V7.5 /Settings solves the problem of the changing of the screen font size.  I no longer have to repeatedly use Ctrl-0 to return to normal size.

Surely this is a defect of Synaptics TouchPad V7.5?   The action of moving the cursor along the screen is not the same as pinch-zooming.

The related less annoying problem remains.  Much less frequently,  moving the cursor on the screen produces the unwished effect of opening the - I don't remember what it's called -  visualizing not only the charms but the whole panel on the right edge of "Search Share Start Devices Settings".  This then has to be removed by pressing Esc.  I suppose this can be fixed by unchecking some other setting of Synaptics TouchPad V7.5.  I don't have time to experiment.  I know of no way of certainly provoking the effect, and therefore checking would take much time.   It sounds like another defect of Synaptics TouchPad V7.5.  Am I wrong?

HP Recommended

Solved.  One is not always aware of the position the finger when swiping the touchpad.  If the finger happens to be at the right edge of the touchpad, it opens the charms menu.  One must therefore learn to keep the finger away from the right edge when moving the cursor leftward.

HP Recommended

I would like to know how to turn off the feature that allows the touch pad to size my screen?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.