Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

keyboard malfunction

HP Chromebook - 14-x013dx
Chrome OS

We are experiencing massive amounts of failures within the keyboards of refurbished chromebooks.

Out of roughly 300 units we have had failures of about 50 within 6 months.  typically it is the (8) (i) (k) (.) keys that fail.

currently we are having to purchase replacement keyboards at 80$ apiece from the HP parts store.

Are we the only ones experiencing these kinds of issues? I would think that if 20% of units are failing so quickly that HP might have a bad refurbisher or need to recall these units?

3 REPLIES 3
Teacher
Teacher
68 54 4 3
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

keyboard malfunction

Hi,

Have you tried using an external keyboard  and is the laptop up-to-date?

Is this happening on more than one Laptop?

What OS is the laptop on?

What is the model of the Laptop?

0 Kudos
mikeycan Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

keyboard malfunction

HP Chromebook - 14-x013dx, Chromebook. I have not tried an external keyboard. It was suggested to take keyboard off and clean. Another suggestion was to use the on-screen keyboard . Any idea how to access it on my model Chromebook ?

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
68 54 4 3
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

keyboard malfunction

I think that the On screen keyboard is only a feature on windows, I am not sure if it is on the chromebook to, I would try disconnecting the keyboard and using a external keyboard and see if that works, if it does try reconnecting the keyboard and see if it works alright also, have you tried replacing the keyboard?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation