Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop PC 15-eh0000 (9WD45AV)pavilion 6530
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello,

One and a half month ago i bought a new laptop.

It already happened 3 times that during my work, my laptop screen suddenly turns black while the laptop is still on.

Clicking, waiting or tapping doesn't effect the screen. Only way is to turn the laptop off is by holding the turnon key for a long time. Moment you turn the laptop back on, everything is back to normal and it doesn't give a ''error note''. 

Can someone tell me what it is? (i don't game) I'm using the laptop for work only. 

extra info: AMD Ryzen 5 4500U with Radeon Graphics 2.38 GHz 

thank you

Daniel 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Danieldejong

Welcome to the HP support community.

I unedrstand that your notebook is notebook is turning black, I am glad to assist you.

Update the Bios, chipset, and drivers using HP Support Assistant.

Download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: Click here

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also, ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

To change sleep mode settings, complete the following steps:

• At the Start screen, type power options to open the Search bar.
  • Select Power Options in the Search results.
  • Power Options on the Search screen In the Choose or customize a power plan window, click Change plan settings next to the plan that you wish to change.
  • To change the display and sleep settings (for battery and plugged in), click the down arrow and select a new time setting.
  • Sleep settings
  • Click Save changes.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello - how can I update the drivers if the screen is black? I can't see anything so this won't work.

HP Recommended

@EvanU

Provide the HP product number or the complete model number for further assistance.

Here is the link to find the product number:- Click here

Could you elaborate on the issue for better understanding?

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you - Model is 14-DQ1043CL.  of course it is out of warranty as of two weeks ago.

The machine turns on but screen is blank. When I hook up to a TV, the screen displays on the TV but not the computer screen.

HP Recommended

@sandytech20 

Thank you for your answer.

All my updates are done and up to date.

PC is 2 months old with windows 11 on it.

I got today the following Stopcode: driver_irql_not_less_or_equal.

Error: amdkmdag.sys 

Is this connected to the black screen?

What should i do?

Thanks.

Daniel 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have had my Spectre X360 16-f0008ca for just about a week and have experienced similar problems.  The screen turns black for a second or two randomly and then returns to normal operation.  When I am surfing the net, I sometimes see a black screen between the loading of two webpages.  In one occasion, the top and bottom parts of the screen turned black all of a sudden and then the middle color part slowly turned black as if the black parts spread to fully cover the screen.  The laptop then seemed to have stopped working but the power light remained on and the cursor disappeared.  At the end, I had to do a force shutdown and after rebooting, it returns to normal operation.

This is my first HP laptop, but I have been using HP desktops for many many years without serious issues.  Frankly I expected the Spectre laptop to be a better quality and reliable product, and I am really disappointed to see all these issues within the first week of my purchase.

Please advise what could have gone wrong with my laptop.  I am considering to return the product to the store and am debating whether to make an exchange or to look for another model.

Thank you for your attention.

HP Recommended

@Yanso

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@ sandytechy20

Did you see my last message regarding bluescreen? 

HP Recommended

@sandytechy20

Hello, making sure you saw my reply from a while ago:

Thank you - Model is 14-DQ1043CL.  of course it is out of warranty as of two weeks ago.

The machine turns on but screen is blank. When I hook up to a TV, the screen displays on the TV but not the computer screen.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.