Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Firefly 15 G7 Mobile Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have this problem that my USB mouse woke up my laptop with the lid close. I had bad experience with this feature and laptop is ON in my laptop bag when i expect it to sleep. I have been practice this close the lid to sleep since windows 7 era. I have been using Dell, MacBook without problems but this new HP happens to wake up with lid close. I tried a few combinations and concluded it happens in below situation and need a fix with firmware update before someone fry the laptop in the bag:

- plug-in power

- USB wireless mouse plugged in

- HDMI port is not connected

To test this is by observing the power LED on the keyboard blinking while sleep. Sleeps will trigger when lid is close halfway. While power adaptor still plugged in, touch/move/click USB mouse and it will wake the laptop with lid close. HDMI is NOT plug in. 

Imagine this steps... the laptop on the desk with power plugged in,

1. close the lid and get it to sleep

2. go to toilet 

3. comes back in 2 minutes later, take the mouse and put into the bag

4. unplug power from the laptop

5. take laptop and put it into the bag

6. after 30 minutes take out laptop from bag and to surprised the laptop is burning hot. The laptop is ON while in the bag...

From this scenario, step # 3 has trigger the laptop to wake up because i have touched the mouse.

It only make sense to wake the laptop when HDMI is plugged in or docked to a docking station. It should keep the laptop asleep as long as the lid is close.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I have made an official complain to HP support on what i encountered.

After 2 days, they have sent a local technician to come try not to  wakes the sleep from USB with windows power settings. Also check and found nothing in BIOS settings.

The out come was unsuccessful. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.