Tutor
13 0 3
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

laptop boots & screen appears, but then goes blank

Pavilion dv7-1424nr
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

My laptop boots & the screen appears. I make it to the point where Windows asks for the login password & then shortly after that the screen goes blank. The laptop stays on & there are no blinking lights anywhere on the keyboard, but the screen is dark.

When it first boots, it seems like there is an orange hue to the diplay.

I just replaced the CPU fan. Before that, it would boot but then die shortly after. The screen would go blank then, too, but the power would also shut off. I feel like there may have been some overheating before the fan finally died.

Now that it has a new fan, the power stays on, but the screen still goes dark.

I used an HDMI cable to hook it to my TV & the display is fine on the TV. It doesn't disappear like it does on the laptop. When I set it so that the display is supposed to appear on both screens, it appears on the TV & stays, but it flashes on the laptop for a second & then disappears.

14 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1895
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @redheadkelly,

Thank you for your query. I grasp that you were experiencing an overheating and auto shutdown issue so you replaced the fan. You are not sure if the overheating may have caused other issues, but when you power on the notebook the display remains blank after inputting your Windows password. If the display, displayed the Windows logon screen, the display itself must be working. When you connected an external monitor it also worked fine and the image flashed briefly on the main monitor before disappearing again. Here are two links that I hope will help. HP Notebook PCs - Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank (Windows 10, 8)

HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boo...

To help visitors and members alike find solutions that have helped others, please consider selecting "Accepted Solution"on the post that resolves your difficulty. This will give it more visibility and make it easier to find. Please consider clicking the"Thumbs Up Icon"below to say thanks for assisting you.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
redheadkelly Tutor
Tutor
13 0 3
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for responding. It's going to take some time for me to go through everything. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1895
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @redheadkelly,

Thank you for letting me know. I will wait for your reply.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
redheadkelly Tutor
Tutor
13 0 3
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much! All it took was a Hard Reset. Or at least so far, so good. :)

0 Kudos
redheadkelly Tutor
Tutor
13 0 3
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Uh oh. The hard reset seemed to help. The screen stayed on for over half an hour & I thought I was fine. But then it went blank again. Right now I have a TV attached as a monitor & it works fine, so the processor & everything seems to be OK. It's just the monitor.

Not sure where the clues fit here. I tried to move on with the instructions for troublshooting, but the monitor won't even stay on long enough for the Hard Drive Test to complete & the display won't route that screen to the TV so that I can see it.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1895
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@redheadkelly,

Thank you for your reply. On the notebook you should see a F key with a monitor image on it. ( check the F4). On startup try pressing the Fn key and the F4(the key with the monitor image if it is different) . Hopefully this will allow you to view the BIOS on the external, allowing you to complete the troubleshooting. Please let me know the results.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
redheadkelly Tutor
Tutor
13 0 3
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Sparkles1. Thanks again for your help.

I did try to use the F4 key to get the BIOS screen to display on the external monitor, but it doesn't.

I also tried to use the F4 key to get the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) to display on the external monitor, but that doesn't work either.

I did check to make sure all my drivers were up to date & that all the Windows updates have been installed. I also downloaded the latest version of the BIOS from the HP site & installed it. It was the same version that I already had.

I am getting a Catalyst Control Center error saying that Host Application has stopped working. But I can't find the version I need for my operating system in order to reinstall it.

I was getting this same error before I took the laptop apart & it never seemed to cause any problems then, though.

Everything else worked just fine before I installed the new fan, so I'm assuming all my software & drivers were alredy up-to-date & in working order to begin with.

I have been using the laptop with the external monitor & it works fine. I can use it that way for hours. So I'm assuming there aren't memory module problems or hard drive problems.

The first time I did the hard reset it seemed to help, but eventually the screen went dark again.

When I boot the laptop, the screen displays everything until I get to the Windows login screen & then it goes dark. If I use the F4 to switch back & forth between displays, the laptop screen will work for a few seconds & then go dark again.

It's not actually turning off. I can barely see the image there if I look really closely. It's just very dark. As if the brightness needs to be turned up.

But I checked all of the Display settings & Power Management settings & it's not set to turn off & the brightness is set to its highest setting.

Would love it if you had more insights here.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1895
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @redheadkelly,

Thank you for the update. The catalyst control center has to do with the graphics. Because the display works on startup, the monitor is OK. Please try the following steps:

• Download and save the graphic driver to a known location.
  • Uninstall and delete the graphic driver and the catalyst control center if it is not automatically removed
  • restart the notebook
  • install the driver that you just downloaded

Let me know the outcome.  Have a great weekend!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
redheadkelly Tutor
Tutor
13 0 3
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found where to get the Catalyst Control drivers for my operating system & installed them. I'm no longer getting the error messages when I boot, but the screen still goes black.

There were times during install when the external monitor would go blank & then both screens would come back, but then the laptop screen would go blank again shortly after.

And if I switch back & forth between screens with the F4 key, the laptop screen will appear for a few seconds & then go blank again.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation