Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

laptop monitor switching off on connecting charger

HP 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Whenever I attach my charger cable to laptop and switch it on, the display goes blank. However laptop remains on.

If I switch off the power or take out the cable, the display comes back. I have a Windows 10 which I upgraded from built in Windows 8.1. Dont remember whether this problem started after Windows 10 - but maybe.

I have looked into the forum and seen some similar issues but solutions given are like charger not working, or change the screen type by pressing Fn + f4 key etc.

Pls advise - even as I write now, my battery is almost dying and I cannot plug the charger!!!

3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
1979 1975 183 585
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

#HPExpertDay

1. Try a different Cable.

2. Try a different adaptor.

3. Check battery and other hardwae components functionality:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
Tutor Li_Ach Tutor
Tutor
10 10 0 3
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello ,

Check if you can get a display on an external monitor. If so , have the BIOS , chipset , graphics drivers updated for the machine. Also check for any windows updates if available and complete them as well.

Make sure the charger that you are using is meant for this machine itself / try testing with another charger to see if it could be a faulty charger .

Hope this helps

I am an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
sidchat Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have got a solution which seems to work so far. Touchwood!

I read it in another forum.

In the charger unplugged state, go to Systems - Power & Sleep - Go to Additional Power Settings -  Choose When to turn off display.

Adjust plan brightness to the minimum (slide the slider to extreme left). 

Save.

It is working. The forum said it was some bug in Windows 10.

Posting it for info.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation