Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Touchsmart 4-1215dx Ultrabook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10 recently did a features update which may have caused loss of ability to detect hdmi connected tv monitor. Did all available driver updates, system reset, checked cables and alternative monitors with same result (HP Envy Touchsmart 4-1215dx Ultrabook). I would like to try a bios update but for some reason the HP Support Page does not list Windows 10 updates (only 7, 8.0. and 8.1) so  I can't even search for drivers. Any suggestions or solutions?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Rod733

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try these steps to update the computer -

Step 1 Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

If the issue still persists, try re-installing the operating system -

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3) Press F11 once for System Recovery. 
4) Choose the Keyboard Layout. 
5) Click on Troubleshoot. 
6) Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Recovery. 
Note : Back-up all your data as System Recovery will delete everything that you had saved or installed on the computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have already done all of those steps  including system recovery. I also reloaded all of the updates checking intermittently if the problem is resolved. I have also updated all of the drivers many times after first disabling or uninstalling them. HP Support Assist identifies my Computer model but will not provide support for Windows 10 which is installed on my computer. This was mentioned in my earlier post. Could you address this please. I believe the issue has to be either a faulty driver or bios issue since I connected another laptop to the same tv with the same hdmi cord and it detected and displayed the other screen instantly. The defective laptop causes the tv to detect when the laptop is turned on but there is no duplicate display. The message is to check the connection on the tv. The laptop on the other hand does not detect a duplicate screen or detect an hdmi audio device. I do sometimes get a configuration panel for a second screen which shows a refresh rate of 59. I could not effectively change it to 60 using the intel control panel since only the 59 refresh rate will show up after the change was supposed to have been made by the intel control panel.

HP Recommended

Hi @Rod733

I managed to get mine resolved. Called the HP support line who took me through a number of steps in order to get it fixed.

Had to do a BIOS reset update on the machine, and then change the default settings on the BIOS back to normal. 

Fixed my issues and haven't had any problems since.

Call the HP support / Tech Line.. Very helpful and talk you through all the steps on the phone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.