Honor Student
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

loose video cable for a laptop

pavilion ze4900
Microsoft Windows XP (64-bit)

When I fire up the laptop, it starts up normally but the screen is very dark, almost completely black, but when I shake it ( which is never good to do) the screen turns on normally. I think it might be a loose video cable but I want to see what you guys think before I go and get it fixed.

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12360 12337 1165 2353
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

loose video cable for a laptop

Hi @MGBeynon90,

Thanks for stopping by the HP forums. Good day! :) I reviewed the post about the video cable being loose on the computer. It looks like when you move the notebook back and forth the display on the screen is restored when the screen goes blank. It will be a delight to assist you here. :)

Superb effort, splendid troubleshooting and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting.  Kudos to you on that score. :)  You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. :)

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

Did you perform any troubleshooting or contact a technician nearby?

You’ve hit the nail right on its head. It is a loose display cable issue that needs to be corrected by getting the unit serviced.

As this is an older computer, service options are no more available for this computer as it is not manufactured by HP anymore. Please contact a local Best Buy or Staples technician to get the situation corrected.

This link could provide some useful information. Link: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=500750

Hope this helps.   I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. :)  Please reach out for any issues and I'll always be there to assist you always. :)

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. :)

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. :)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation