Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs168cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Following the Support Assistant instructions, I verified that the driver for the HID touchscreen was present. As instructed, I uninstalled it and the restarted my laptop expecting the re-installation would occur as described. It did not. Now, I cannot find the driver when the drivers for my laptop are listed by HP. There is nothing there for HID or touchscreen.

Is this telling me that the hardware for the touchscreen has failed and cannot be detected by HP? I tried going into BIOS and the touch screen does not work there, either.

HP diagnostics do not find any failures.

I'm stumped.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

UPDATE: a complete re-installation of Windows 10 fixed the problem. Interestingly, the touch screen did not work in the BIOS screen so I assumed it to be a hardware issue. I went to the HP repair facility and they told me that the wait for repair was weeks long and that sometimes a re-install would fix the problem. It did, likely because that reinstalled the driver for the touch screen.

NOTE: I had tried to re-install the touch screen driver but I could not do it either from the HP support site or simply by letting Windows re-start. Windows re-start is supposed to detect missing drivers and install them but it did not.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @clif9710,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

As I understand there are touchscreen issues,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you run a test using the hardware diagnostics tool?

Or check if the touchscreen works on BIOS?

While you respond to that, I recommend that you attempt to run a test using the HP hardware diagnostic tool

If the Touch screen isn't appearing on the diagnostics, 

I recommend checking if the Touch is working on BIOS (Accessed by tapping on F10 while restarting the computer). 

If it works on bios, it's a software issue: please reinstall windows using the recovery partition or the recovery media to fix the issue 

If it doesn't work on BIOS either, it's a hardware failure and you may need to Contact HP to set up a hardware repair service. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers! 

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

The touch screen does not work under BIOS so I guess the hardware is broken. Thanks for your reply.

HP Recommended

Hi @clif9710,

Thanks for your reply. This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please check your inbox on the forums page for private message.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

UPDATE: a complete re-installation of Windows 10 fixed the problem. Interestingly, the touch screen did not work in the BIOS screen so I assumed it to be a hardware issue. I went to the HP repair facility and they told me that the wait for repair was weeks long and that sometimes a re-install would fix the problem. It did, likely because that reinstalled the driver for the touch screen.

NOTE: I had tried to re-install the touch screen driver but I could not do it either from the HP support site or simply by letting Windows re-start. Windows re-start is supposed to detect missing drivers and install them but it did not.

HP Recommended

I went through all proceedures for software issues and did not help.  As a last resort I took display out of case (very carefully) and found small plug on the touchscreen digitalizer loose.  Pushed it in and put tape on it to secure.  Touchscreen and rotation is now working properly .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.