Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
probook 4540s
Microsoft Windows XP

clean install xp pro sp3

i am not able to adjust screen brightness.

i found a driver for xp home but it did not work.

help please

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

ps

i also tried following

Intel Video Driver and Control Panel 

Intel Video Driver and Control Panel sp57617.exe

but got error

This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.

and also

Intel Graphics Driver for Windows XP winxp_145111.exe

also no help for screen brightness control

HP Recommended

pps 

Xp Home Hp Hotkey Support sp53796.exe was the driver i tried

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

ppps

i have two driver errors in device manager

csr bs8510

and

video controller (vga compatible]

HP Recommended

Hi:

Sounds to me like your notebook came with the AMD/Intel switchable graphics adapter for which there is no XP driver.

The only 4540's that can run XP are the ones with the Intel graphics only.

If you want to adjust the screen brightness along with the resolution, etc., you will need to install W7.

HP Recommended

thank you for the reply

i have run both w7 and w10 on my 4540s        

but only xp will allow me to run FolderSize

how can i tell if my 4540s  came with the AMD/Intel switchable graphics adapter ?

belarc advisor says  hd intel graphics adapter 4000

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you have the amd/intel switchable graphics, you should see two devices listed in the device manager under the display adapters device manager category (Probably both listed as video controller (vga compatible).

Or they may be showing up under an Other Devices category.

But if you have two VGA adapters needing the drivers, then you have the AMD/Intel switchable graphics and that is why the Intel graphics driver you ran gave you that error.

There is a custom driver needed for the AMD/Intel graphics and it was only made for W7, W8, W8.1 and W10.

So, if you have to run XP on your notebook, you will have to live with the current state of affairs.

HP Recommended

thank you

roger wilco

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.