Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 model 13-4040no
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have had HP Spectre x360 for some 6 months now  . It is fine machine but the screen has bad problems. 

From the start, few times in mohth the picture of the screen is fading away.

Exactly the same case as with with this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72H_7lwKJuo

Is waranty repair only schoice or what?

Br, MrFin

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi @MrFin,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Spectre x360 and issues with screen fading Windows 8. I have has some luck with changing the adaptive brightness. Try to click the Windows key, type in Power Options.
On the right click Change plan settings.
Then click on the bottom section Change advanced power settings link.
Display –> Enable adaptive brightness, and change the settings there. Restart the Notebook.

You could  try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows 10.  Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update have been completed.

Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hello,

I did what was instructed but the fading problem did not go away. 

Still time to time screen starts to faid and laptop stops all operations then for some 30 seconds, mouse do not move etc. Screen does fading 2-3 times and then returns to normal state. 

MrFin

HP Recommended

Hey @MrFin,

I would check to see if the Hardware is ok.

I would also reset my power plan options so that all the settings are the same for the components.

I recommend to restore the BIOS defaults.You could restore the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings. That way it will look at the Hardware installed on the Notebook.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Same problem...  I bought my Spectre in April 2015.  The issue started about a month later.  Called HP Support and they questioned why I had loaded any software and began to tell me that I needed to uninstall all my software...  I thought that's what computers are for...

Anyway, after various searches, it appears that the ribbon connector to the screen is located in the right hinge (by the delete button).  I have found that on start up, while the PC is warming up, the screen will fade (and locks up) but if you 'tweak' that right hinge, it recovers momentarily.

I've also found that once the PC is warm, the problem goes away...

So I believe the issue is with how HP connects this ribbon cable between the monitor and keyboard...  I'd have to start removing panels to see if its a solder joint or socket, but this appears to be the root of the problem and NOT software...

Would love to hear if anyone else can duplicate this on their Spectre.

HP Recommended

Hello grgrove

sounds like same problem with our x360's. 

In last two openings my Spectre has "freezed" totally for 3 times in first 5 min, but then porblem goes totally away, until next startup. Freeze takes some 30-60 sec and then machine recovers. 

What do you mean by tweaking the hinge... just moving the screen...?

Br, Jouni

HP Recommended

Yes, literally moving the screen back and forth but with a bit of pressure in the lower right hand corner near the hinge.

I've tried isolating the pressure to just that hinge and seem to believe that is where the problem is...

I haven't taken the back off, as my PC is still under warranty.

HP Recommended

Yes, screen recovery seems to happen some what faster when puting screen to pad mode when freeze has happened.  So defenetly it seems to be a hardware problem.  Updating bios or revert to  factory settings do not help here and I think HP should stop pushing for changing bios or power options and study it as hardware problem.  

This is my only laptop and it will be difficult to send it to waranty repair, but what can you do?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, I too am hesitant to send my 6 month old PC in for repair work.  I will have to get another PC to use in the interim.

I showed a colleague this morning and he too feels this could be a "Cold Solder Joint" where there is a break in the continuity of the connection and movement sometimes bridges the connection.  This then goes away, once the Solder Joint gets heated up and expands and makes connection.

The problem I see, is that this issue is happening to a lot of people out there...  I'm worried that if I send my PC back to HP for repair, they will just hand me another PC and I will have the same issue but with less warrantly time...

This is definitely a problem with HP Hardware and for now, I am stongly recommending my employees buy from somewhere else.  I am now regretting my decision to go with a "Apple look alike"...

HP Recommended

I purchased an HP Envy 15.6 x360 with i7 processor in July 2015 and have been having the very same problem for the last few months.  Vertical lines appear, screen freezes (everything freezes) and the display fades out. 

I have also found that fiddling with the hinge seems to bring it back, but this is really annoying and I am worried it might not come back at all.  And, of course, that will happen at the most inconvenient time!

I agree, the symptoms seem to indicate a faulty connection (cable) from the mother board to the display.  The hinge on the x360 is clever, but may be the culprit.

Were you able to fix your notebook and was the cable/hinge the source of the problem?

Thanks,

JD

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.