Tutor
17 13 0 2
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

touch screen problem

HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had a new notebook, but after a few days it started showing that it was detecting a repeating touch on the screen, about 1" in from the lower left and bottom of the screen - showing the "echo rings" used for visual confirmation of a touch on the screen.

This would keep repeating, 1-2 times/second, and of course that would interrupt any other attempt at input of any other kind. Physically wiping the screen or that area had no effect.

Thinking that this probably indicated a hardware failure, I returned the unit and got a new one. All seemed fine, but now a month later this just happened again (on the new machine), same sympton, same basic screen location. Doing log in/out stopped it, so I doubt it is really hardware.

Anyone else have this symptom/problem, or any ideas?

I do have a one-year no-matter-what warranty, but would hate to again have to switch machines and start over, if it is a software bug...

7 REPLIES 7
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,419 21,032 1,380 2,180
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

touch screen problem

Hi @gguthrie,

Thank you for showing interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I came across your post and wanted to assist you. Don't worry we'll work together to find a solution for you,

Let's try these steps here:

I recommend checking if the Touch is working on BIOS (Accessed by tapping on F10 while restarting the computer).

If it works on bios, it's a software issue: please reinstall the display drivers, install the latest updates for the display adapters and BIOS, if the issue persists, you could reinstall the windows using the recovery partition or the recovery media to fix the issue

Updating the BIOS - Click here

If it doesn't work on BIOS either, it's a hardware failure and you may need to contact HP to set up a hardware repair service.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.  

If they did, that's awesome!  

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
gguthrie Tutor
Tutor
17 13 0 2
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

touch screen problem

Thank you for the response - but if you read the original note, on a restart it works properly, so there is nothing to test on /after a reboot/restart.

PS: to say "try a restore of the system" - is a huge time problem, ti takes a few days to sstart from a fresh install (resest), and have to reinstall al lprograms and setting and software, re-register everythign, restore all options, etc.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,419 21,032 1,380 2,180
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

touch screen problem

Hi @gguthrie,

Thanks for replying,

I understand PC works fine upon restart, you could go ahead and run a scan on the PC as well as check for windows update. 

(I had a new notebook, but after a few days it started showing that it was detecting a repeating touch on the screen, about 1" in from the lower left and bottom of the screen - showing the "echo rings" used for visual confirmation of a touch on the screen) I would recommend you to check if the touch is working on the Bios. If it works on Bios, it's a software issue. you could install the latest updates for the display adapter and Bios from the support website.

Please let me know how it goes, I'll be more than happy to help you.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
gguthrie Tutor
Tutor
17 13 0 2
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

touch screen problem

I still have this problem occasionally. Closing the screen, which causes a logout/in, fixes it. I think just logoff/in also fixes it.

THis is after 8 months of softwrae updates, and two machines doing exactly the ame thing. Odd to not have heard of others with this symptom. I'll tolerate it a bit longer - since my machineis still under extended warranty.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
13,623 12,733 827 1,441
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

touch screen problem

@gguthrie

Hi and welcome back to the HP Forums. 

As @Jeet_singh is out of the office today, I'm replying to you.

I suggest you to refer to the steps mentioned under "Touch screen responds inaccurately" from this HP document.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted. Take care! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
gguthrie Tutor
Tutor
17 13 0 2
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

touch screen problem

Yes; I have reviewed those points - none are applicable.

I could attach a video fo the problem, but don't see how to upload it.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17,237 17,088 1,139 1,788
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

touch screen problem

Hi @gguthrie,

I recommend you to contact HP phone support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with the phone support.

Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Enter Product number or select to auto detects

Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation