Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 7 (373 Views)

touch screen

Product Name: Pavilion TS Sleekbook 14
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

My touch screen stopped working under Windows 8. I tried every step I could find on these forums - disabling the touch screen driver, restarting, updating the driver - with one exception; under Component Tests in my HP Diagnostics UEFI, there is no Touch Screen component listed. It is there under Device Manager etc., but cannot be found in the UEFI.

I updated the computer to Windows 10 and the problem remained. I restored the computer to its factory settings and the problem has remained.

There is no damage to the computer, which is still quite new, and which works perfectly in every other respect. Previously, the touch screen might stop working and a restart would solve the problem, but it has not worked at all for some time now.

Any suggestions?

Retired
Message 2 of 7 (331 Views)

Re: touch screen

[ Edited ]

Hi there @jtlhughes,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand you are having an issue with the touch screen. I will be glad to help you.

Please post the full product number. See the following, if you need help with that information.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Here is a document for Touch Screen Issues (Windows 8).

Please keep me informed of how things went. If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! Smiley Happy

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Top Student
Message 3 of 7 (309 Views)

Hi @Tardis40,

I'm afraid that these steps do not solve my problem.

My product number is D8Q11EA#ABU; is this helpful?

Many thanks.

Retired
Message 4 of 7 (296 Views)

Hi @jtlhughes,

Thanks for getting back to me with the product number.

There are no Windows 10 drivers available.  

Try these steps.

Step 1: Press the windows start button + the "x" key

Step 2: Select "Device Manager" from the list of options

Step 3: Click the drop down menu for "Mice and other pointing devices"

Step 4: If you have 2 drivers there then you have found the correct driver 

(If there is only one I will include instructions on how to find the correct driver for your computer)

Step 5: Select your touch screen driver from within "Mice and other pointing devices" and double click on it to bring up the advanced options

Step 6: Click on the "Driver" tab from within that newly opened window

Step 7: Click "Roll Back Driver"

(That should have reset to the last touch screen driver your computer had. If you have removed the driver that I had you should now only have one driver in the "Mice and other pointing devices" drop down menu and you should have a few new drivers in the "Human Interface Devices" drop down menu)

Step 8: Restart your device so that the computer can configure the changes in drivers

If all goes well your touch screen should work like new again

Now for those who had a single driver in the "Mouse and pointing devices" drop down menu

~Complete steps one and two like you had in your first attempt

Step 3: Click the drop down for "Human interface Devices"

Step 4: Look for the driver labeled "HID-compliant touch screen"

Step 5: Select the driver by double clicking on it

Step 6: Click on the "Driver" tab

Step 7: Click "Roll back Driver"

If the device was successfully rolled back go ahead and restart your device to let windows configure the device changes.

Please let me know how things go.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Top Student
Message 5 of 7 (275 Views)

Hi @Tardis40,

I tried this; having restored my laptop to its original factory settings (Win8), the UEFI still has no touchscreen component listed. Further, there are no touchscreen drivers listed anywhere in the Device Manager -not in either of the places you suggested, and not in any others - and telling the computer to detect hardware changes or new drivers results in nothing.

At the moment, I have an HP Pavilion laptop which has 'TouchSmart' written in decent-sized letters on it, yet which seems to have no idea that it has a touchscreen, ever had a touchscreen, would ever need drivers for a touchscreen, or might have need of a UEFI which mentioned touchscreens.

I have updated the BIOS to the newest version suitable for my processor, updated Windows 8 and all its drivers to the newest versions and - since the reset - have nothing on my computer which might be interfering with the touchscreen. As far as the computer is concerned, the touchscreen doesn't exist - except for a calibration tool, which tells me to touch the screen. I touch the screen.

It does nothing.

I haven't found a step or series of steps anywhere on the internet which can remedy this problem, but I do appreciate the help.

Retired
Message 6 of 7 (269 Views)

Hi @jtlhughes,

Thanks for the information.

if your computer is still not finding the touchpad, please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Message 7 of 7 (109 Views)

Try this approach.  It worked for my older machine, maybe it will work for you!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/SOLVED-Pavilion-x2-10-touch-screen-amp...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation