Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-db()xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm attaching an external mouse and want to deactivate the touchpad- can't find a setting for that!

Anyone???

thanks

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@eyexam1 

As mentioned above, all machines are not the same therefore Windows may see different things.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@eyexam1 

Please try following steps

•    Hold down Windows Key then press letter I ,
  •    Devices,
  •     Touchpad ,
  •     Toggle Touchpad to OFF.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks but nope!! Don't see that option. The ONLY option I see is to adjust sensitivity and it's already on the lowest setting.

I'll attach a screenshot.

thanks

Jeff2021-10-06.png

HP Recommended

@eyexam1 

Sorry, it actually untick/tick as shown

touchs.png

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Thought I was seeing things but if you look at MY picture, that box below the sensitivity setting is NOT THERE!!!!!!!! (I'm using Windows 10 64-bit....could it be my software???)

If that  box was there, I wouldn't have needed to post! What version are you using???

much appreciated

Jeff

HP Recommended

@eyexam1 

My HP machine runs Windows 10 21H1 build 19043.1237. My Dell machine also runs Windows 10 21H1 build 19043.1266 and only has ONE option Touchpad sensitivity

Normally I update/upgrade all my machines not the same time but within 1 month. I don't know why they have different build.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

So, is there any upgrade to the software that will do this? Or is it a hardware issue?

thanks

HP Recommended

@eyexam1 

As mentioned above, all machines are not the same therefore Windows may see different things.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

I began having this problem a while back.

Check the date on your touchpad driver in DEVICE MANAGER. [ PROPERTIES-DRIVER]

Click on in Touchpad Settings ...RELATED SETTINGS [just below Sensitivity & Touch and Go, } ADDTIONAL SETTINGS [blue] see if the synaptics control panel pops up. It is built into the diriver you see in Device Manager, but you can't open it from there.

I noticed in trying to update the driver: I had two. [ update drivers and choose from drivers on your own machine. [don't use search on the web  option, use search on your own machine] I chose the older driver from 12/18/2018 (19.5.10.7). 

Reboot..

If you don't want to reboot just uninstall the driver in device manager. My trackpad stops...but it tends to reload when I reboot.;-)

If touchpad comes back and your diver is correct, ADDITIONAL SETTINGS (above) will allow you to disable the pad w/o reboot.

Your driver may have a different date or code than mine,  You may have the right driver but didn't know how to launch it.

I probably got the wrong driver using intel's driver assistant.

Now I only use HP support assistant.

I did this for bluetooth and have an HP bluetooth driver that won't install. [my bt still works!]

Getting the right Synaptics driver to get the Synaptics control panel back took about an hour of Duck Duck go searches and experimentation before I realized my Envy did exactly what I told it to do. aka "malicious compliance".

-wbajr

I do a lot of excel & macros. Touchpad drives me nuts!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.