hannahbrowder95
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

when I plug in my laptop, it turns off

Pavillion 11-n010dx x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop is only two years old, and this problem just started happening to me a couple months ago. I used to be able to just open my laptop and it would turn on, now I have to press the power button. When I do, and it is plugged in, the display is black. When I unplug it, it comes back on. It's like it is backwards. also, whenever I try to turn the brightness up, it goes down. Whenever I turn it down, it goes up. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,525 21,480 1,817 2,904
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

when I plug in my laptop, it turns off

@hannahbrowder95

Thank you for joining HP Forums.}

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand the concern every time you plug in your laptop it turns off,

Don't worry as I have a few steps to help resolve your concern:

Uninstalling and reinstalling power management software in Windows:

In order to correct problems with the battery's power management software, follow the steps below.
1. Access the “Device Manager”.
2. Expand the Batteries category.
3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall.
WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
4. On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes.
Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes. 
Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. Restarting Windows will have the same effect of letting Windows re-recognize the hardware and installing the correct drivers.

If that doesn’t fix it, then shut down the computer, unplug all power cords, remove the battery, then depress the power button for 30 seconds. Replace the battery making sure all connections are solid, then plug in the power cord.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation