Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jshelbyjr
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 1 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

x360 spectre 15-bl012dx windows 10. display flickers when I enable VT in BIOS.

HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

1. Turning it off fixes issue (not an option - need VT)
    1. I state this b/c twitter support told me to reset BIOS, which defeats the purpose. 
  2. Changing drivers does not fix issue
    1. Tried latest HP drivers
    2. Tried previous HP drivers
    3. Attempted to use Intel drivers
  3. Changing resolution does not fix issue
  4. Changing refresh rate to 40hz decreases frequency of the issue but it's still there
  5. Connecting to external monitor over HDMI and extending display the issue stop
  6. Using the Microsoft Default video driver the issue isn't present (but dispaly performance suffers) 

Not sure what next steps here are to resovled.  I have not heard of other users having issues, but I'm not sure how many people may be turning on VT here.  

HPIssue.png

EDIT:

I've gotten the issue escalated.  They have informed me they also believe it is a driver issue and are having it added to their issues list.  b/c I believe this will ultimatley fall on Intel to resovle I expect it will take 2-3 months at the earliers to make it into a driver drop.    They have offered to replace it with another model, or different laptop.  I am considering that however like I pointed out it is usuable with an external monitor, and the flicker it greatly reduced at 40hz so I am leaning towards waiting it out.  

34 REPLIES 34
evancox10
Level 1
5 5 0 2
Message 2 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm seeing the same issue. There was another thread with someone else seeing this too.

I didn't realize it was linked to Intel VT, I also have that on. Good catch.

Here's mine captured on video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlJdT184ap0

Edit:

Here's the other thread on this forum:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/efbasham/m-p/6065761#M149445

And here's the same issue reported by redditers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/spectrex360/comments/5zuhnf/2017_15_spectre_x360_screen_brightness_flickeri...

jshelbyjr
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 3 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah so far support has not been much help.  I can say changing the refresh rate to 40hz and rebooting seems to signfinatly decreated the frequency.  I'm confident it is a driver issue.  I know it can be fixed, we just need HP to acknowledge it and work with intel on fixing it.

0 Kudos
gmihk
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 4 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem. I can give more detail if you want, but the reason I'm posting is just to ask, what does it mean to use the Microsoft default video driver? Maybe it's a stupid question, but I've been trying a lot of things to work around this issue (changing driver versions, disabling either the Intel or the Nvidia from the Nvidia control panel), and I've never seen an option to just use a Microsoft driver. Do the Intel and Nvidia drivers need to be uninstalled?

And secondly, in what way does display performance suffer? Can you still run at native resolution, and it's just intensive 3D graphics that are slow? Or does it stick you into some 640x480 safe mode?

0 Kudos
evancox10
Level 1
5 5 0 2
Message 5 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

gmihk, I don't have answers for your driver questions.

However, I wanted to give everyone a heads up, it looks like the flickering gets a LOT worse with the Windows 10 Creator's Update. I'm not sure you can call it flickering anymore, the bottom half of the screen just becomes rainbow stripes. So, hold off on the creator's update if you still want your computer to be usable.

Has anyone made any progress with HP support?
0 Kudos
aguedeney
Level 2
18 16 0 0
Message 6 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did finally found away to stop the flickering. Here are the steps I used:

From Desktop screen right button mouse click and a menu should produce:

Display setting near the bottom of the menu

1.  Go to Display setting and increase to 300%

From Desktop screen right button mouse click and the menu should produce:

Intel Graphics settings, and NVIDIA Control Panel. NVIDIA Control Panel is what you want to select.

1.  Go to NVIDIA Control Panel 

1. Set PhysX to GeForce 940MX

2. Go to Manage 3D settings

1. Global Settings tab and set Preferred graphic processor: High performance NVIDIA processor

2. Go to Program Settings tab and set all programs to: High performance NVIDIA processor

The flickering went away completely for me. I haven't seen it flicker yet (to date).  However, as software updates get applied maybe this will stop working one day 😞

I hope it helps someone frustrated with the ugly flickering. I also guess it is obvious that it is the Intel HD Graphics chip and BIOS and Windows drivers or something like that - that's causing the problem.

0 Kudos
gmihk
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 7 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I knew about the 3D settings but not the PhysX. I will try that. I can tell you that 3D settings alone did not solve it. Also the 300% thing would be a non starter for me so I never tried that 🙂 interesting if that's one of the things that makes it work though.

By the way what are you guys using VT for? I got a suggestion from the Docker guys to try removing Hyper-V since I had upgraded to Pro, and use VirtualBox instead. I am skeptical but it's been fine so far. Less than a day though.

Anyone on Home or no Hyper-V with VT on and using VirtualBox or VMware instead and still had these issues? Or could it be Hyper-V specific?

0 Kudos
aguedeney
Level 2
18 16 0 0
Message 8 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I use Docker extensively and VirtualBox and VMware.  I must have VT setting for these services to work.  You can experiment with the Display setting size, but 300%  I do not get any issue as long as the other NVIDIA settings are also set.

0 Kudos
gmihk
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 9 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do you have Home or Pro? If Pro, do you have Hyper-V installed? Have you tried both Docker for Windows and Docker Toolbox, or only one or the other?

I'm trying out different combinations to see if it makes a difference, and I just want to know if you have been in any of those configurations and still had issues, or whether you've only ever used Home / VirtualBox / Docker Toolbox.

0 Kudos
aguedeney
Level 2
18 16 0 0
Message 10 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows Pro (with all latest updates) with Hyper V - No flickering so far ... I don't use Docker Toolbox (old)

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation