Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Intern
Intern
25 25 1 3
Message 31 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

x360 spectre 15-bl012dx windows 10. display flickers when I enable VT in BIOS.

Hi aguedeney,

which version is installed on your spectre? I have downloaded the last Intel HD 620 offered by HP (also tried the last provided by Intel on their homepage). None of them fixed the flickering, though.

The HP version is 21.20.16.4664.

The Intel version is 15.46.05.4771.

The update from the older HP version to 4664 made it even worse for me. Before, the flickering only occured when the screen was waked up after going black for energy saving. Now, it happens randomly also while im tipping.

Still, the flickering only occurs while on battery power - same as the freezes I had before when the flickering did not occur yet.

0 Kudos
aguedeney Tutor
Tutor
18 16 0 0
Message 32 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, after installing a few drivers from Intel and nothing seemed to work. I still got the ugly flickering.  I decided to "unpollute" my base Windows 10 Professional installation by reinstalling everything from scratch - that's the bad news.

However, the good news is that when I reinstalled everything from scratch and added all the HP an Microsoft updates to current.  I have not seen one flicker!   I run Docker containers and require the VT bios switch to be on.  I'm also almost always connected to power running in optimal high performance mode.  Althougn, I decided based on your experience to run on battery (so far no flickering at all). 

So, in conclusion for me everything is working perfectly.  I'm very happy to have reinstalled everything from scratch and it was worth the extra work.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
25 25 1 3
Message 33 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!

I also did this once. And it went well for about 3-4 days (sporadic usage) and then flickering started again.

I just disabled VT in the Bios and it did not help in my case.

I also deleted all Intel HD620 driver from the system. So, I run on MS basic display adapter with ugly resolution.

However, even there I got the flickering. So, this does not seem to be a driver related issue somehow.

I also have linux installed. Here, I have not seen any flickering so far (however, I am currently very much concentrating on windows to get this fixed, so I will check this again). I also did not have any freezes on Linux in the past. The difference here is the power saving. My linux is not using that many techniques here. So, still I consider some problems in power management system the most reasonable root cause. The Bios does not offer much to change here but I also tried the one option it has with no effect.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
30 17 0 2
Message 34 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OP,  did this eventually get resolved?

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
25 25 1 3
Message 35 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not for me so far. I am still in contact with HP support team. They just got an huge amount of log data to look at.
I installed the newest Intel driver from October. Did not change things in any direction. However, things got better over time. Only have the flickering occasionally now, still related to power saving as far as I can tell.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation