Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (186 Views)

17t-k000 Dual Band Wireless Upgrade

Product Name: HP Envy 17t-k000 G0U21AV
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This computer came with a single band wireless adapter. I need to upgrade to a Dual Band 5Ghz wireless adapter. I searched the "PartSurfer" as well as the "Maintenance and Service Guide", Model and Product numbers of the laptop matched and the suggestion was to go with the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi and BlueTooth 4.0 combination WLAN adapter 710662-005. So I carefully ordered that exact module, installed it, nothing, tried different drivers and software from Intel, nothing, checked the HP support assist for updates, nothing, put the old single band card back in, works as it did previously.

Why doesn't this card work when both the manual and part surfer specify this card? Please help.

Thank You

HP Envy 17

Windows 10

Model: 17t-k000

P/N: G0U21AV 

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (165 Views)

Re: 17t-k000 Dual Band Wireless Upgrade

Hi:

It may be possible the card is DOA.

Something should have happened when you turned on the PC...found new hardware, BIOS reports unsupported wlan card...something.

Does your notebook have two wireless antennas present? 

A lot of newer HP notebooks only have on wlan antenna attached to the card, with no spare antenna lead present.

A dual band wlan card will not work with only one antenna.

But even only one antenna would not prevent something from happening when you installed the card. 

It would just get real lousy reception, and perhaps the bluetooth wouldn't work.

Do you have a different laptop you can test the card in?

Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (153 Views)

I hope it's not DOA. Though you may be right because the computer doesn't seem to recognize it at all, ever after attempting updates in device manager. 

There are two antennas inside. 

I don't have any other machines compatible with this card to test, but I will exchange it and hope for the best in round two.

Thank you for your help. 

Provost
Message 4 of 4 (149 Views)

You're very welcome.

You should be good to go then, with 2 antennas.

Your PC doesn't have a BIOS whitelist which means you can install any wlan card you want.

Why not install the better model 7260 AC card?

Here's a part number...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation