Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP15-ac147cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Need to upgrade my HP15-ac100 series laptop's Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter (Part# 792610-005) to dual-band so that 2.4G and 5G can both be used.

Can anyone confirm whether Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11ac, Dual Band, 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 - (7265NGW) is compatible with this series laptop?  MSINFO32 reports these "baseboard" specifics:  Manufacturer=HP, Product 80C3, Version 96.53.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Or is Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo Adapter (HP Part # 863934-855) the correct replacement part for dual band?

HP Recommended

@Lightman5 Welcome to HP Forums Community!

Here's the list of wireless card's tested and approved by HP as per the service and maintenance guide for your device: Click here to verify (Page. 3 Chapter 1 Product description)

(As an upgrade/custom enthusiast I personally love the idea of upgrading the device as well, However, HP recommends that you go easy on it as the device is equipped with parts that perform at its optimal performance and also, the upgradeable parts listed above are purely for your ease, though the decision to upgrade will be at your own discretion)

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you much, Riddle_Decipher, for your expert help.  I will order the final part in the list you provided from HP's Maintenance & Service Guide for my laptop.

I assume after installing the replacement Wi-Fi card for dual-band, that a driver update must be done, correct?  Will Microsoft Update provide the correct driver or should I obtain it from Intel, the card's mfr.?

HP Recommended

@Lightman5 The pleasure is all mine 😉

You should be able to update it via Microsoft or better yet, the HP Support Assistant to obtain specific driver updates, if that doesn't work, please visit Intel to get the same as the last resort.

I hope that helps!

Take care and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am sorry to report that replacing the OEM card (see subject line) with the final one in HP's list in Chap. 1 Product Description's Page 3 -- Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter -- did NOT work, much less add the second, 5G WiFi band.  So, I returned it for a refund and reinstalled the OEM card.

Consequently, I've resorted to using an external USB dual-band adapter in the future.  (It's on my Amazon wish list. 😉

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.