Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP450 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

Im looking at upgrading my laptop WiFi card with an Atheros AR5B195  will it be compatible with my 450G1?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Is there a specific reason you want to upgrade to that model wifi adapter?

There is a much better one you can install--the Intel 7260-AC...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0                HP Part #710661-001

The card is readily available on Amazon or eBay.

Do your search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

But to answer your question...if you want to install the atheros card, it should work.

You may have issues with it since you are running W10.   Poor W10 driver support for that card.

HP Recommended

I run multiple OS's on my laptop thats why i want the atheros card, Intel cards are annoying to work with so im not interested in any intel cards, im looking at this one because its compatible with all 3 OSs that i use but i just want to make sure that when i install it into my laptop it wont be disabled...like ive had when trying to install new RAM modules, Basically i got a message saying its disable due to it not being on the whitelist.

HP Recommended

The 450 G1 shouldn't have a BIOS whitelist.

If you have installed other wifi adapters in that model, and they were rejected, then that one will be as well.

Check chapter 3 of your notebook's service manual for the list of supported wifi cards and their HP part numbers, if you had that happen to you.

I have the HP 350 G1, Intel series 8 chipset and 4th gen core i3, and had no issues installing a wifi card not listed in the service manual.

HP Recommended

Its rejected RAM i tried to install, I dont want to buy a wifi card just to be rejected. so i just want to be sure that it'll work beforehand

HP Recommended

As I stated...the 450 G1 should not have a BIOS whitelist.

Since I don't have a 450 G1, neither I, nor anyone on this forum can provide a 100% guarantee a wifi card not listed in the service manual will work.

All I can say is based on what we have learned from others on this forum, the wifi whitelists seem to have been removed sometime in 2013.

That is the best info we can provide.

HP Recommended

Doing a search on the forum, I found one post regarding upgrading a wifi card in a 450/470 G1.

This person only has 1 antenna in his notebook, and hopefully your notebook has two antennas connected to the wifi card in there now.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Probook-450-G1-Upgrade-Wi-Fi-Adapter/...

I'm pretty sure the Atheros AR5B195 would work better with two antennas connected to the card.

To me, one antenna is almost as bad as having a BIOS whitelist.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.