Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I recently purchased a pair of Sony WF-1000XM3 wireless earbuds and they have been working perfectly with my HP laptop. However, a couple of days ago, I updated both my earbuds and Windows 10 to the latest version and after that the earbuds have been having audio issues when connected to my laptop.

The audio is stuttering, lagging and sometimes in a lower pitch than usual. I suspect that this is an issue with the Bluetooth driver on my laptop because the earbuds work perfectly on my phone. I have been looking for solutions online but I can't find anything. I would really appreciate help with this because I'm in need of the earbuds.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Haris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SirahT I have a few fixes that have helped others and these steps should help you get this issue sorted as well, let's begin:

Fix 1: Windows has built-in troubleshooters to fix some common errors. You can run the Bluetooth troubleshooter to fix the Windows 10 Bluetooth audio stutter problem. This is the most common and easy way to fix the problem.
Here’s how:

1. Press Windows logo key + I keys to open Settings.
  2. Click on Update & Security.
  3. On the left pane, click Troubleshoot.
  4. Under Find and Fix other problems, click on Bluetooth.
  5. Click on Run the troubleshooter.

6. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the process.
  7. Reboot your computer and check the problem is fixed or not.

If this fix was unable to solve the issue, please move to the next fix.

Fix 2: Disable audio enhancement 

Audio enhancement is designed to make your system sound perfect. But things can go wrong somethings. To fix your sound stuttering problem, please perform:  

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key + R on the keyboard at the same time.
  2. Type mmsys.cpl and press Enter
  3. Right-click your default playback device (the one with a green tick) and click Properties
  4. Click Enhancement. Make sure the box for Disable all enhancements is empty. Click Apply and OK to save the change. 

If you don’t have an Enhancement tab here, the culprit is not enhancement then. Move on to the next fix. 

Fix 3: Change audio formats

If your audio driver or software doesn’t support the current audio format you have, sound issues such as static or stuttering would happen. To fix it, you can try different audio formats: 

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key + R on the keyboard at the same time.
  2. Type “mmsys.cpl” and press Enter
  3. Right-click your default playback device (the one with a green tick) and click Properties
  4. Click the Advanced tab. Select 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality). Click Apply and OK to save the changes. 
  5. Test to see if your sound is still stuttering. If yes, go back to step 4 and try some other formats until you find the one works for you. 

If your audio problem remains, move on to method 4 for help. 

Fix 4: Update BIOS & audio drivers: click here to find and install the same

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@SirahT I have a few fixes that have helped others and these steps should help you get this issue sorted as well, let's begin:

Fix 1: Windows has built-in troubleshooters to fix some common errors. You can run the Bluetooth troubleshooter to fix the Windows 10 Bluetooth audio stutter problem. This is the most common and easy way to fix the problem.
Here’s how:

1. Press Windows logo key + I keys to open Settings.
  2. Click on Update & Security.
  3. On the left pane, click Troubleshoot.
  4. Under Find and Fix other problems, click on Bluetooth.
  5. Click on Run the troubleshooter.

6. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the process.
  7. Reboot your computer and check the problem is fixed or not.

If this fix was unable to solve the issue, please move to the next fix.

Fix 2: Disable audio enhancement 

Audio enhancement is designed to make your system sound perfect. But things can go wrong somethings. To fix your sound stuttering problem, please perform:  

2. Type mmsys.cpl and press Enter
  4. Click Enhancement. Make sure the box for Disable all enhancements is empty. Click Apply and OK to save the change. 

If you don’t have an Enhancement tab here, the culprit is not enhancement then. Move on to the next fix. 

Fix 3: Change audio formats

If your audio driver or software doesn’t support the current audio format you have, sound issues such as static or stuttering would happen. To fix it, you can try different audio formats: 

2. Type “mmsys.cpl” and press Enter
  4. Click the Advanced tab. Select 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality). Click Apply and OK to save the changes. 
  5. Test to see if your sound is still stuttering. If yes, go back to step 4 and try some other formats until you find the one works for you. 

If your audio problem remains, move on to method 4 for help. 

Fix 4: Update BIOS & audio drivers: click here to find and install the same

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher Thank you for the fixes. I ran the troubleshooter and it resolved the stuttering. However, now I hear a high static pitch (as if I have tinnitus) whenever audio is playing. The other fixes didn't resolve this issue.

A light static pitch is better than stuttering audio, but do you have any suggestions to get rid of the static noise as well?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

@SirahT That's awesome, I'm glad I could help, to say thanks you may click on "accept as solution", 

That said, here are 6 methods to fix Windows 10 static noise

1. Update your sound drivers
  2. Try other speakers
  3. check & change fan settings
  4. Disable sound effects
  5. Change audio format
  6. Run the Audio Troubleshooter

Keep me posted with the results,

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.