Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY dv7 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

While using Ubuntu 18 Bionic beaver my wireless network card stopped functioning, I tried several steps to re-enable the card and long story short I re-installed Windows 10 just to see if the issue persisted and sadly it did. I would simply like to replace the network card but I am uncertain if my laptop has any black-listed hardware components.

I also took the card out and replaced it to make sure the issue was not a loose connection.

I would like to replace it with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-Ac-Hmc/dp/B00DMCVKMU/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF...

If anyone could tell me, would I run into any compatibility issues? I believe it is an upgraded version of the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 listed as a replacement module in my user manual.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It is a little known fact that the dv6/7-7xxx models with the Intel processors don't have the BIOS whitelist.

All of the dv6/7-6xxx models do, and so do many other HP notebook model series with 3rd gen core processors, but not yours.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be fine with this card...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0                HP Part #710661-001

The card is readily available on Amazon or eBay.

Do your search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reassurance, I thought it would but I wasn't certain if my laptop was made before or after HP stopped blacklisting hardware. Honestly, I'm not sure that they ever did but it has come up while searching for a solution so I thought it best to ask someone. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It is a little known fact that the dv6/7-7xxx models with the Intel processors don't have the BIOS whitelist.

All of the dv6/7-6xxx models do, and so do many other HP notebook model series with 3rd gen core processors, but not yours.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.