Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Brand new Pavilion x360 won't connect to any wifi network

Pavilion X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I unboxed a new HP Pavilion x360 today and it refuses to connect to either of my wifi networks. It can see the SSIDs of the networks (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) in the wifi network list, but the laptop fails to connect to any of them.

I have two wireless networks (both running on Netgear equipment), both of which have been working without a problem for several years. Each network has multiple laptops and phones connected at any given time.

The main wifi unit is acting as a DHCP server for the network, and the second wifi unit is simply there to extend range, so most of its features are turned off and it's just running in Wireless AP mode. Both wifi points are using WPA2-PSK [AES] for their pass phrase.

To rule out any authentication issues, I tried turning off access control and set the networks to 'open' (no password), but still no luck connecting. Meanwhile, I can sucessfully connect to both networks with my phone and various other laptops (eg an older HP Pavilion and a Microsoft Surface Pro 2)

Every connection attempt gives the message "Verifying and connecting ...." and after 30 seconds or so, it says "Cannot connect to this network"

I even tried re-enabling WPS so I could use the "push button to connect" feature on the wifi station. As soon as I pushed the button, the laptop recognised the WPS connection attempt, but after a few seconds it failed, and gave a message saying WPS had failed and I would have to manually type in the pass phrase.

I'm pretty familiar with windows and networking, as I used to be a network engineer, so I'm fairly confident it's not something I've missed in the Windows 10 settings.

Unless it's something to do with a HP Pavlion hardware setting I am unfamiliar with, it kinda seems like the new laptop is faulty. Should I be taking it back to JB Hi Fi?

RJS_AUS

1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
15428 15373 1435 3416
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Brand new Pavilion x360 won't connect to any wifi network

@RJS_AUS

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Certainly sounds like you know what you're doing, and I have Win10 laptop that connects to netsworks just fine, so it's not some "hidden" feature of Win10 that is the issue.

Since this is a new PC, before you return it, you might want to give HP Tech Support a chance to see if they can get it working.  You paid for free HP Tech Support as part of the warranty coverage, so you might as well make use of it.

While this PC is still under warranty, you should contact HP Customer Support directly to have them put you in touch with HP Technical Support to see what they can do about troubleshooting and repairing your machine remotely.

I did this recently and the HP Tech was able to remotely access my PC from the Internet and do the needed repairs.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

If you have trouble finding a phone number, then try: 1 (800) 474-6836

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation