Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g150
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been having some problems with my wireless internet connection. The signal is very weak on my HP notebook and it intermitantely drops out. The conncetion is fine when pluged into the router via the ethernet cable and the speed is good.

I understand the Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi M.2 Adapter currently installed on my laptop is single band and can only conect to the 2G wifi. Other devices on the network do not have the same disconection problem and have much faster broadband speeds via wifi. It seems that this is because they can use the 5Ghz band.

Is there anyway to upgrade my current driver so it can recieve the 5Ghz band or failing that is there another wireless card that would be compatible with the HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g150 that would allow me to pick up 5Ghz?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if updating the driver to the latest version helps...

7.35.351.0 Rev.A (25 Oct 2016)

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp78001-78500/sp78044.exe

In order for the notebook to work on the 5.0 GHz wireless band, you need to replace the wlan card with one that is dual band.

That is a hardware issue.  You can't turn a 2.4 GHz card into a 5.0 GHz card with a driver update.

I would need to know the full model number or product number of your g150 notebook, in order to suggest a suitable hardware upgrade if one exists.

The product number can be found on the same sticker as the serial number.

There are at least half a dozen g150 model variations.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. I have updated the drivers and I'm still having the same issues. My laptop is an HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g150na (Energy Star) Product no. N9S38EA

I would appreciate any advice on a hardware update.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Looking at the specs for your notebook and the service manual below...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04655126

It has an AMD processor and chipset.

I believe that models with the AMD processors and chipsets can only use the

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter

HP Part # 806723-005

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Inc-Wlan-Int3165-806723-005/dp/B01FIDWLWS

Now, here is the problem...

1. It is pretty hard to take your notebook apart to replace the wlan card.  See chapter 6 of the service manual.

2. There may only be one wireless antenna present and connected to the Broadcom wireless card, which, IMO is part of the reason you get lousy reception.  That is standard though, not that HP forgot to connect a 2nd antenna.

In order for the above wireless card to work, your notebook has to have two antenna wires in the wireless card area.

Since I don't have your model notebook, or know of anyone that has upgraded the wireless card in that model, I cannot confirm that your notebook has one or two antennas present.

All I know is that if it only has one, you would have to take the whole notebook apart including the display panel area in order to properly run a 2nd antenna.

HP Recommended

That is good to know but it sounds like it might be a little beyond my technical capabilities. Is there anything else I could try without opening up my laptop? Do you think a signal booster or a 5G USB adapter (like the one below) would be worth looking into?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IJZX6X0/ref=twister_B01IJZX6K8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

HP Recommended

Hi:

That should work just fine.

You may need to have a wireless AC router for the device to work on the 5.0 GHz band, though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.