Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 e001ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion 15 e001ax which has Ralink RT3290 wifi card and I want to upgrade my wifi card ot the latest supported wifi card, what are my options? Kindly Please Help....

Thanks in advance!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @luvshiv :

Yes, you can change the wireless card in your notebook under two conditions...

1.  Ensure that there are two antennas connected to the current wireless card you have in there now.

2. If there is only one antenna present, be willing and able to disassemble the entire notebook including the display panel area to properly run a second antenna.

Because your notebook has an AMD processor and chipset, you are limited to the following Broadcom dual band wireless cards with bluetooth...

Dual band Wireless AC

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo

HP Part # 724935-001

Dual band Wireless N

Broadcom BCM943228HMB WiDi 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo

HP Part # 730668-001

See chapter 5 of the service manual below for the wlan card removal and replacement procedures.  Do not rely on the illustration to confirm that your notebook has two antennas connected to the wlan card.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03939658

Looks pretty easy to do if your notebook has two antennas connected.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

removed ...

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, @luvshiv :

1.  Ensure that there are two antennas connected to the current wireless card you have in there now.

2. If there is only one antenna present, be willing and able to disassemble the entire notebook including the display panel area to properly run a second antenna.

Because your notebook has an AMD processor and chipset, you are limited to the following Broadcom dual band wireless cards with bluetooth...

Dual band Wireless AC

HP Part # 724935-001

Dual band Wireless N

HP Part # 730668-001

See chapter 5 of the service manual below for the wlan card removal and replacement procedures.  Do not rely on the illustration to confirm that your notebook has two antennas connected to the wlan card.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your quick response, Are these two the only options that I have?

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi, @luvshiv :

Dual band Wireless AC

HP Part # 724935-001

Dual band Wireless N

HP Part # 730668-001

Also are these two chipsest for which manufacturers can differ? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Those are the only two cards that I know of that will work.

I do not know of any other wireless card manufacturers that make dual band wireless cards for notebooks exept Intel.

An Intel wireless card most likely will not work in your notebook because it has AMD hardware, so that is why I don't recommend you risk getting an Intel card on a 90% probability it won't work, where there is a 100% probability the Broadcom cards will--as long as your notebook has 2 antennas to connect to the card.

HP Recommended
Thank you so much buddy for all the help.

With your suggestion, I am keeping my fingers crossed and thus ordering the below...

BroadCom BCM4352 BCM94352HMB Half Mini PCIe PCI-express Wireless WIFI WLAN BT Bluetooth Card 802.11AC 867Mhz for 724935-001
http://s.aliexpress.com/iM3eEnqI
(from AliExpress Android)

King highlight to me anything that you would like to highlight as the order will be shipped not too soon...
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I take it then that your notebook does have two antennas connected to the current wifi card?

If so, you should be all set.

HP Recommended

If your willing to loose a USB port, you can buy a USB adaptor that supports the duel bands and AC. I found that my laptop only has one antenna which is probably typical on a single band card installed from manufacture. Antennas are not expensive, you can buy them from Amazon for around $10. But it's the disaasembly of laptop to run the antenna that's a challenge. I think a external adaptor is a easier choice. 

HP Recommended
Paul - Yes I got it confirmed today that my laptop has got two antenna connected to my wifi card and then I have placed the order, Keeping my fingers crossed & I shall keep posted with the updates. Thanks Cheif

Scott - I know USB wifi adaptor is a option but I am not looking for one... Thanks to you.

HP Recommended

That is great news.

You should be all set then.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.