Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14-ce2068s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

At the end of August, my HP Pavilion 14-ce2068s would no longer connect to the internet. I could see the available networks just fine and even sign in, but I would get there error that there may not be internet available through this connection. I tried this at a different location with a different wireless connection and the issue persisted. I have absolutely no idea what the issue could be. The only thing that I can conceivably believe to be the issue is that the wireless card has issues. But why would I still be able to connect? Here is what I have tried:

• Windows Wireless Troubleshooter - No issues were detected
  • Restarting the computer, manually disabling the wireless and re-enabling - Nothing.
  • Resetting Google Chrome settings to defaults via the chrome://flags - Nothing.
  • DNS flush - I was not able to release the DNS using ipconfig /release. It would not work.
  • Change DNS - I set the DNS to 8.8.8.8 with an alternate of 8.8.8.0
  • sfc /scannow - The scan went through and issues were detected, but they were not able to be fixed for some un-described reason.
  • Disabling wireless driver and restarting the computer - Nothing.
  • Deleting driver and reinstalling - Nothing. The driver is on the latest version available (checked with another HP laptop.)

Then I tried connecting via an Ethernet cable. A whole slew of new issues arose, and I was also able to try a few more things:

• I could connect to the internet now. However, random websites would not work. Some that I tried were HP.com, Amazon.com, and random tech forums. None of those would connect, and would give a ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED. YouTube.com and other random websites still work.
  • I tried to use the HP internet assistant to assess the issue, but the test failed because HP.com could not be contacted. 
  • Windows Update had no updates available to download after checking
  • I reset the PC. After doing so, the internet could actually connect! The DNS was still an issue though. After a reboot, however, the No Internet issue returned.
  • Full computer scan of the computer for viruses -- including rootkits -- with Malwarebytes. Nothing. (I actually had to download the program on another device and transfer the installer via flash drive because due to the DNS issue, I could get onto the Malwarebytes website but I could not download the program because the download server was not able to be contacted. The download would not start).

So all in all, I have absolutely no clue whatsoever what is wrong with this computer. Not getting internet is one issue, but even with an Ethernet cable I still can't use most of the internet due to this (what I assume is) DNS issue. Clearly it isn't a problem with Windows, and it isn't a problem with the connections I am connecting to. What am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I'm very surprised that you are having difficulties with that card.

I have several of them and they work great.

The only suggestion I can offer, would be to update the wifi driver directly from Intel.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28822/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Intel...

If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would assume the card is defective in some way, and if your notebook is still under warranty, submit a support case to HP under the warranty to get the card replaced.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

What model wifi adapter does the PC have?

If you don't know, go to the device manager, click to expand the network adapters device manager category, and there you will find the name and model number of the wireless network adapter.

HP Recommended

Sorry, I was mistaken on the model of my laptop. It is actually a HP Pavilion 14-cs0051wm.

The network adapter: "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

HP Recommended

Hi:

I'm very surprised that you are having difficulties with that card.

I have several of them and they work great.

The only suggestion I can offer, would be to update the wifi driver directly from Intel.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28822/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Intel...

If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would assume the card is defective in some way, and if your notebook is still under warranty, submit a support case to HP under the warranty to get the card replaced.

HP Recommended

Somehow, the driver I have is a later version than what is on their website? The version I have is 19.51.8.3

HP Recommended

See this version works for you...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29006/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Ad...

I just checked mine, and the driver version is 19.51.23.1,  6/5/2019

HP Recommended

I think this computer is a lost cause. I don't believe it is in warranty anymore, so it may just be a stylish paperweight now. Thank you for trying to help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Try disabling any AV software you might be using.  I've seen some freebies that cause firewall issues, and produce the results you are seeing.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

AV could not be the issue. The issue persisted after resetting the PC, meaning all programs were deleted. There was no anti-virus installed in the first place, besides Defender I suppose.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.