Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
17-by1053DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I am trying to figure out if I can upgrade my laptop's wifi adapter to AX200 or AX210, I have a releak RTL8821CE on my laptop now, I wonder if it is whitelisted for this laptop. I wanted to upgrade because wifi 6 and wifi 6e are out now and this RTL8821CE is still using the old wifi 4, You guys have any idea? My laptop is using I5 8265U

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The service manual has that information on how to run the cables...chapter 6, page 72.

Also believe that the antennas are two separate wires.

One runs on the left side of the display and the other on the right.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, HP does not release any info on what notebooks have whitelists.

Most of them made from 2014 on do not, with a few exceptions.

We find this info out from feedback from other forum members.

However, notebooks with the RTL8821CE wifi adapters only have one wifi antenna, and the dual band Intel AX cards require two.

Adding a second wifi antenna and transceiver would require the complete disassembly of the notebook including the display panel area to properly route the second antenna wire.

If you want to go through all of that trouble to run a second antenna wire, you can try this card and see if it works...

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 ax 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.0 MU-MIMO M.2 2230 non-vPro   HP part # L35282-005.

You should be able to find the card on eBay by searching by the HP part number.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure.

HP 17 Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

The antenna kit and part number can be found in chapter 3 on page 22.

Dual antennas   HP part # L22497-001.

You can use the existing antenna and just add the one that is missing.  It would be a different length.

HP Recommended

Thanks!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

And by the way, do you have any idea how should I run the cables? do I just do it like the original one since it's now two cables not one cable

HP Recommended

Hi:

The service manual has that information on how to run the cables...chapter 6, page 72.

Also believe that the antennas are two separate wires.

One runs on the left side of the display and the other on the right.

HP Recommended

Okay thanks so much!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Please post back and let us know how your notebook's wifi card upgrade project went.

HP Recommended

i have a OMEN 15 2020 Laptop, and i tried to upgrade from ax200 to ax210, and the laptop do not recognice it... i hope that HP update the whitelist. 

HP Recommended

By the way, is this the only model that will work on this laptop, I searched it everywhere, but all of them are out of stock, do you know any other model that will work for this laptop too?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.