Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
IrishEyes27 Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't connect to wifi - 'wifi doesn't have a valid IP configuration'

I am ready to give up on HP AND Windows 7.  My laptop worked fine until a week ago - did all - reset router, plugged HP 15 laptop into router....wireless has stopped working - low signal sometimes if I spend hours removing and reinstalling, etc.

Reinstalled network adapter - have Kaspersky 2017 - tried turning it off.  Using Windows Firewall - tried turning off.

Keeps saying network adapter has invalid IP config.  Laptop of my husband next to mine is working fine!  Same settings.

Have done EVERYTHING.....running HP Network Diagnostics....same errors - problem w/wireless adapter or access point and "wireless connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

Previously I used to see my neighbors wifi network names in the bar at the bottom where the wireless strength shows.  Now only see my computer/homegroup (which I also deleted and reset umpteen times)....is this a clue?

Thank you.

1 REPLY
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12360 1164 2313
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't connect to wifi - 'wifi doesn't have a valid IP configuration'

Hi @IrishEyes27,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! :) Aver good day to you. :) After reading your post I see that you require assistance regarding wifi connectivity issues. It will be a delight to assist you here.:)

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. :) Kudos to you on that score. :) You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. It has been an absolute pleasure to work with you. :)

First off, It looks like a hardware issue with the network adapter as you’ve tried copious and extensive troubleshooting. Brilliant effort. :) I will still go ahead and provide a few steps here to isolate the issue:

To assist you better, I would require more information regarding this.

• When did this first occur?
  • Did it begin after a software or windows update?
  • Did you try to update the bios and wifi drivers?

For starters please try these steps from this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/wifi-doesnt-have-a-valid-ip-c...

Now check if this does the trick for you. Also, Please try to perform all the prescribed steps from this link: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Common-fixes-for-wireless-connectivity...

Then check again if this fixes the issue. Also check this link out also: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02543015

Then check if this fixes the issue. If it does not please try these steps:

Start Menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tools for the Classic View (long list of items) or Start Menu > Control Panel > > Performance and Maintenace > Administrative Tools for Category View (colorful, big icons).

2) Double-click Services.

3) In this window, click the Name column header (where is says “Name”) to sort by the service name.

4) Scroll down to find WLAN AutoConfig service. Stop the service first. Then restart it and make sure that it runs automatically.

5) Make sure that dependency services are also stopped and restarted.

Finally, if nothing works, then it the wireless card may be faulty and needs to be replaced. A fabulous workaround would be is to buy a USB Wi-Fi dongle and plug it to one of the USB ports of the computer. Then connect it to the Wi-Fi router to go online.  This is a cost effective and economical solution. You could order one from eBay or Amazon for a song. You could also contact your local Best Buy or Staples store for doing it.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.  :)  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. :)

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helpsplease mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. :)

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. :)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation