Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I just recently purchased a new HP witht the active pen.  I am going through batteries at a concerning rate, given the usage.  Played with a dozen times no more than 5 minutes each time and am on my 3rd battery.   Can you turn it off, or put it in a mode that will not burn so much juice?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi,

Which pen do you have ? Mine has a switch we can witch off.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
No switch only two buttons. It doesn’t have a model or anything other than just HP on the clip. It is the one that comes with the spectre 2 in 1.
HP Recommended

Saw your post, couldn't find an answer. Started messing with the buttons. Super simple: press the A button (on top of the stylus) for 3 seconds (the same way you'd set the device up to pair) and the light goes off. I assume it's switched off that way.

HP Recommended

There is not light on the pen, only the 2 buttons, I have tried to hold buttons down for 3 seconds on each one, the pen is still on, I guess you take the battery when not in use?

HP Recommended

I have the same question.  IF you are an HP Expert, why would you ask, "which pen do you have?"  Does HP ship the Spectre with more than one?  No.  If you cant answer the question, please keep quiet.  Sheesh.

HP Recommended

Hi, the HP pen I recieved with my spectre has a very small light located next to the clip. It shines blue when the pen is on and when you hold the button at the top of the pen down for three seconds it flashes green and turns off. 

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  No light, two buttons and the HP control app did not come preinstalled.  The windows settings talk to a click control button on top of the pen... which this doesn't have.  The pen instructions say 'tap any surface to turn on' but nothing about how to turn off to save battery life.  Given I will only use the pen in certain situations, this is important.  It seems silly to have to remove the battery each time.  Frustrated that the control app was not preloaded too.

HP Recommended

Most active pens go to sleep after you stop using them. You wake the pen back up by pressing the pen tip against a surface.

You can check if your pen is sleeping by hovering it over the screen without touching anything. If you do not see the 'point' when the pen is close to but not touching the screen then the pen has gone to sleep.

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying David, but it doesn't turn off.

The pen was sitting next to the laptop overnight, the laptop was switched to sleep mode.  I tried the pen, hovering near, but not touching the screen.  The pen definitely registers on the screen.  😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.