Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 14
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

Can i change the wifi card on my HP Pavilion , the card is :realtek rtl8822be 802.11ac pcie adapter

to a superior Intel one.

Does is it have a M.2 connector and a standard Key A or E socket ?

I cant seem to find online

The wifi card i have right now is rubbish, speed tests lower than my Amazon fire tablet in the same location and about half the speed of my iphone

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Below is the  link to the service manual for your notebook.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion x360 14 Convertible PC

I am surprised to see that the only available wifi cards were the lousy Realtek ones.

At least you got the better of the two.

Here is what I recommend...

Most HP notebooks made after 2014 do not have BIOS whitelists, but there are a few exceptions, and I don't know if your notebook's model series is one of the exceptions.

You must get a non-vPro version of any Intel card you install, or it won't work.

I recommend this card which you can get on eBay.  Search by the HP part number.

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 ax 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.0 MU-MIMO M.2 2230 non-vPro   HP part # L35282-005

L35282-005 | eBay

You can also see if it is available from HP, but the parts store is closed until January 4th.

HP Parts Store - HP Computer Parts - HP Printer Parts - Compaq Parts

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

Any M.2 wifi card is going to fit in the slot currently occupied by the RTL8822BE.

What is the product number of your notebook? 

Use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, that's good news

the product number: 8FH77EA#ABU

is it still possible ?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Below is the  link to the service manual for your notebook.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion x360 14 Convertible PC

I am surprised to see that the only available wifi cards were the lousy Realtek ones.

At least you got the better of the two.

Here is what I recommend...

Most HP notebooks made after 2014 do not have BIOS whitelists, but there are a few exceptions, and I don't know if your notebook's model series is one of the exceptions.

You must get a non-vPro version of any Intel card you install, or it won't work.

I recommend this card which you can get on eBay.  Search by the HP part number.

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 ax 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.0 MU-MIMO M.2 2230 non-vPro   HP part # L35282-005

L35282-005 | eBay

You can also see if it is available from HP, but the parts store is closed until January 4th.

HP Parts Store - HP Computer Parts - HP Printer Parts - Compaq Parts

HP Recommended

Thanks again, i have found the part on the HP parts website, feels safer than ebay

However, you mentioned he BIOS whitelist and whether mine computer had an exception or not.

If i were to get the part you recommended, will it work regardless of any exceptions ?

Best,

Jason

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

If your notebook does not have a BIOS whitelist, it should work just fine.

A BIOS whitelist will prevent any wifi card from working except the two Realtek cards listed in chapter 3 of the service manual.

Since no one with your model notebook has upgraded the wifi card that I know of, I do not have any info regarding 100% whether it will work or not.

We rely on feedback from other forum members who upgraded the wifi cards to different models.

HP Recommended

Ahhh, so is there a way to know if BIOS does have a whitelist  please ?

otherwise its a no go, i guess

HP Recommended

Hi:

Since HP does not release any info on what models have a whitelist, no one knows, since no one has reported successfully or unsuccessfully upgrading the wifi card in that model series.

The odds are in your favor of it working, since most notebooks made in 2014 or later do not have the whitelist.

If you decide to upgrade the card please post back and let us know the results.

HP Recommended

Okay will do,

The fact that they only have RealTek in the manual makes me think that its RealTek only, 

If i go for it , ill post back.

Honestly, im thinking of replacing with a dell, this HP has been pretty **bleep** poor all round

Thanks for the help

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I have no idea why HP keeps using those lousy cards in their notebooks.

They are plagued with connection issues.

May luck be on your side.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.