Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
17-n101fn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone sorry for my English because I am French.

I have a 17-n101nf computer I would like to change the wifi card for an Intel ax200 model.

BIOS : F.52 Rev.A - Date : Jul 7, 2019

put on the internet some say there is a whitelist in the BIOS that could prevent the computer from starting. and other users say that this white list no longer exists on recent laptops so I would like to know if I can install this card on my laptop.

otherwise I would go on an AC 9260 model.

Best regards

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

I can't find any info on the specs for your model.

I assume it has an Intel 6th gen processor looking at the service manual?

There shouldn't be a whitelist.

But since HP does not publish that info, we cannot 100% guarantee it.

General info we have obtained through years of feedback on this forum is:

All HP notebooks manufactured in 2011 and earlier have BIOS whitelists.

A few HP notebooks made in 2012 do not have BIOS whitelists (dv6/7-7xxx, g6/g7-22xx & 23xx).

Most HP notebooks made in 2013 and later do not have BIOS whitelists, with one exception that I know of...the 14-ac and 15-ac model series.  Those have BIOS whitelists.

What model wifi adapter does your notebook have installed?

The single band wifi adapters only come with one antenna cable, and either of those Intel cards would require two.

HP Recommended

Hello

Intel Core i7-6700HQ Skylake 

Wifi INTEL AC 7265, I have 2 antenna wires

Best regards

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, your notebook will have two antenna cables connected to the 7265 wifi card.

I'm 99% sure you can upgrade to the Intel 9260 Non-VPro card, but I don't have any info on the AX200.

It may work if it is non-VPro.

I guess it is cheap enough to experiment with if you want.

HP Recommended

I confirm that AX200 is not compatible.

error message 704 when starting the laptop.
I just ordered the model AC9260 non VPro

HP Recommended

Thanks for letting us know.

I sure hope the 9260 works, because normally when you get the 704 error message it means there is a whitelist.

HP Recommended

yes i am afraid of that ... i have also seen on the internet that people have succeeded in updating the BIOS or using software to remove this white list

HP Recommended

Hello

I confirm you a wifi card AC 9260 non Vpro version  not work either error 704.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Sorry that didn't work either.

I am very surprised by that, but will make a mental note of it in case anyone else with the 17-n model series wants to upgrade the wifi card.

HP Recommended

me too very surprised and especially very disappointed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.