Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Slow ethernet connection

I have recently upgraded my internet service to Gigabit speed. On the other PC's on my network I get download speeds of up to 450 Mbps. I use Cat 6 cabling for all devices connected directly to the Cable modem ports.

For some reason my HP laptop only gets around 50 Mbps. Usually it comes in around 400 Mbps. It uses a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Ethernet Controller (10/100/1000Mbps)

Prior to this my Internet service coming in was 100 Mbps, 

I use speedtest.net to check my download speeds.

Here is what I have done to troubleshoot without any success:

1. Connected same cat6 to another from modem to another computer I know downloads fast. 
  2. Tried with new cat 6 cable.
  3. Removed and reinstalled the network drivers
  4. Checked for updated network drivers
  5. Disabled then enabled network adapter
  6. Used Windows 10 network diagnostics 
  7. reset my laptop to factory original.

Does anyone have any ideas of what may be preventing me from higher download speeds and how to fix it?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

identifying your PC as an "HP Laptop" is a bit too generic. You must know this is so when you include a link to a non laptop.

How about we get off on the right foot with you identifying your HP product with its complete product name and product number.

While logged into Windows type the word MSINFO into the search box and click on the system information app that appears above. Look in the list for the SKU and  post it here. 

If you actually have the mini desktop that you provided a link to in your reply, the driver and software web document is at the hyperlink below this line. Reinstall the Realtek PCIe GBE family controller driver driver

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-Mini-300-Desktop-PC-series/7477739/mode...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.