Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Envy ep000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to buy the HP Envy ep000 since the HP ENVY ep0098nr is out of stock, but there are several things keeping me back from the purchase:
1. The HP ENVY Ep000 has less storage, costs 300 USD extra for the same RTX 2060 4K OLED display configuration, ships slower than the HP ENVY ep0098nr, and may not have thunderbolt 3 ports. 

My main question is though, disregarding these other issues, is if the envy ep000 has thunderbolt 3 capable ports as the product description lists "2 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge)" BUT the Maintenance and Service Guide for the HP ENVY ep000 series says all variants support thunderbolt 3, and in the software and driver section of the support page for the HP ENVY ep000 there is an Intel Thunderbolt 3 driver available for download as if it is preinstalled on the laptop. 
This is conflicting information, so which is true? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Isaac10 

The specs of  HP ENVY Laptop - 15-ep0098nr is

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06656942

The Envy 15-ep000 is a CTO machine, you can Configure To Order but it has same ports as the 15-ep0098nr that means no Thunderbolt port.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Isaac10 

The specs of  HP ENVY Laptop - 15-ep0098nr is

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06656942

The Envy 15-ep000 is a CTO machine, you can Configure To Order but it has same ports as the 15-ep0098nr that means no Thunderbolt port.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Some or same? I'd assume the latter since you said "no thunderbolt 3". 

HP Recommended

Are we certain that the ep000 has the same ports as the ep0098nr? Reading the specs for both laptops, it appears that the ep0098nr has 2 USB-A ports, while the ep000 only has one.

Taken from the ep0098nr page:

"2 Thunderbolt™ 3 (40Gbps signaling rate) with SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge); 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate (HP Sleep and Charge); 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate; 1 HDMI 2.0a; 1 AC smart pin; 1 headphone/microphone combo"

And from the ep000 page:

"2 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge); 1 HDMI 2.0b; 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 10Gbps signaling rate (HP Sleep and Charge); 1 headphone/microphone combo"

The lack of at least 2 USB-A ports is the primary thing keeping me from making at purchase at this point; if clarification could be provided on whether the ep000 has 1 or 2 USB-A ports, as the ep0098nr does, this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HP Recommended

I'd go by the product description as I remember ordering a different laptop with the same inconsistent info and i got what the product description says. While the NR model is not in stock, they're typically in stock every Saturday early in the morning in Central Time but in limited stock so I'd act fast.

HP Recommended

Got it, thanks for the reply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.