Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Here ya go...

The Wire less is...Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter

Ethernet is...NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet

Model NEATGEAR...N150 Wireless Modem Router DGN1000

There you have it my friend. Looking forward to your reply.

Loy Banks
HP Recommended

Hi again Loy,

Firstly, on the link below is the online manual for your Netgear router.

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/DGN1000_UM_19Jan10.pdf

Make the followiing changes to the router using one of your Hardwired Desktop PCs.

1.  Log in to your Routers homepage as described on Page 14 of the manual.

2.  Follow the steps 1 to4 on Page 34 to set mixed mode security and enter a new security key ( make a note of this ) - save the changes.

3.  Log out.

4.  Restart the Router.

Make the following changes on your Laptop - Do Not have the Laptop wired to the router.

1.  Delete any existing wireless network again using the same procedure as before - detailed below.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

With the laptop just connected wirelessly, go to the Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, click on Manage Wireless Networks in the left pane and right-click the wireless network and select Remove.  If there is more than one entry and you only ever connect at home, repeat the procedure for any other networks listed here.

Restart the Laptop.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

2.  On the link below is the procedure to create a new wireless network connection.

http://www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-setup-a-wireless-connection

3.  Restart the laptop and see if it now connects.

4.  If you still have no connection, follow the steps on the link below to create a static IP - Start at Step 5.

http://portforward.com/networking/static-vista.htm

When you get to Step 10, these are the settings you will need to enter.

IP Address                        192.168.0.16

Subnet Mask                     255.255.255.0

Default Gateway               192.168.0.1

Preferred DNS Server    208.67.220.220

Alrenate DNS Server      208.67.222.222

Click OK and do the same for any further windows that require confirmation.

Shutdown the laptop.  Restart the router.  When the router has booted, start the laptop and check whether it will connect.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Well as much as I hate to say it, none of these scenarios worked either. I tried them more than once, wanting to give all a good effort.

I don't recall if I mentioned it or not but the Netgear Modem is a new one. I bought it because I was having this very same issue with the former Modem supplied by Qwest. That unit was a Actiontec PK5000. It too had been working for  Ethernet and Wireless. Then one day it quit with the Wireless. So I thought I would replace with a new one from Netgear. Hence the new modem!

Why in Network and Sharing is it showing the Wireless is an unidentified Network(Public network)? The Ethernet is showing as a Network(Public Network). It shows the Strength of the network as Excellent with all green bars.

Any more ideas or are you running out? 🙂 Thanks my friend for all the help. I still have high hopes.

Loy Banks
HP Recommended

Hi Loy,

Try the following with your laptop connected wirelessly - do not have it wired to the router.

From the Start Menu, open the Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and launch Services.  Check the following 4 services by right click on each one and selecting Properties.

Network Connections - Startup Type should be Manual and the service should show as started

Network List Service - Startup Type should be Automatic and the service should show as started

Network Location Awareness - Startup Type should be Automatic and the service should show as started

Network Store Interface Service - Startup Type should be Automatic and the service should show as started

If you need to change the Startup Type, select the correct one from the dropdown box, click Apply to make the change and then click Start if the service is not already running.

Next, follow Steps 1 though to Step 7 on the link below to change your Network Type to Private - Ignore Step 3 about changing the Name.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/124812-network-location-type-change.html

After doing this, restart the laptop and see if you can now connect to the Internet correctly.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Well I have some bad news and some good news. 🙂

Your latest suggestions didn't solve the problem. But, the good news is at the bottom of that link page was an advertisement for automatic updating of a machine's drivers. Now we've both heard of such programs, maybe using them. Me, I've used the free one for aps from CNET. But this one specifically showed Drivers. That got me interested. So I downloaded it and bought it. Or them! There were two programs. Okay my thought are getting off target. An old man is allowed that.

Anyhow I had checked on updates for the Network Drivers previously during this issue of no wireless connection. Each time I had tried without any positive results. Meaning No Updates were needed. But this time, Thank You Lord!, this Paretologic DriverCure did work. It took a couple determined tries, but on the second attempt it appears We Have Overcome! I didn't have the Ethernet Cable plugged in, and when I rebooted Glory Be it automatically connected to the Net...Wirelessly. If that's a word. 🙂

Curiously my friend, at that point in time, I hadn't removed the Free DNS Numbers from the configuration, so that's what is being used to connect to the Net. So in one way "your" work on this is working, if you get my drift. That was your input for good output!

Another really curious thing is, in this morning's email I finally received a reply from Qwest (ISP) concerning this same problem. Lord only knows how many days that took. For your own edification and knowledge I'm copying below what they recommended. I'm not going to use this now, but keep it in reserve for later. But hope I never have this issue again. 

My sincerest thanks to you for all the work you've done. It is sincerely appreciated.

Here is the message from Qwest.....

Hello,

In an attempt to resolve your DNS issues we suggest that you hard code the TCP/IP settings using the information below.

Follow this link and it will provide you with screenshots on how to hard code the TCP/IP settings.

Windows XP: How to Add/Remove a Static IP Address in TCP/IP

http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/opsystems/pdf/15671_WinXP_Network_AddRemStatIPinTCPIP.pdf

You will note that the actual fields where you enter the IP information are blank.  Please enter the following IP addresses in their respective fields.  One quick note: when you only have one digit to enter like in field 3, in order to go to the 4th field you will need to press the right arrow key on the keyboard to jump to the 4th field.

IP Address: 192.168.0.33
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

DNS 1: 205.171.3.65
DNS 2: 205.171.2.65

Thank you,

Craig
Qwest Internet Solutions 
Boise, Idaho Support Center

Loy Banks
HP Recommended

Hi Loy,

I'm really pleased you've got the issue sorted out - perseverance has certainly paid off!!

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

what was the name of the two program you bought? because im goin throught the same problem right now

HP Recommended

This worked for me DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.