Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 850 G5 (3JX50EA#UUG)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to install a wwan card in my Elitebook 850 G5. How do I remove the cover for the sim card slot.

Do I need a sim tray and if so, can this be ordered as a spare part ?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@PreciaMolen 

Sorry you can't, it is non-removeable. The specs clearly says

sim slot.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

That statement in the specs is not entirely correct. My EliteBook 850 G5 does not have a factory-fitted WWAN card but the SIM slot is open and has a tray, electronics and connectors behind it. It also has the WWAN aerials. You may well find that if your SIM slot is plugged you don't have these necessary components anyway.

HP Recommended

I'm in the same situation. I also need one. And the spec given is incorrect. If you custom order an Elitebook without a WWAN adapter, you can still order it with the necessary hardware to support one. That's what I did, and the SIM slot is empty. It doesn't have a plug or a tray.

HP Recommended

You must be in the US where you can pretty much customize your Elitebook to how you want. In the UK you have to take what's on offer. I ordered quite a high spec one but it wasn't advertised as having a WWAN card. Not a deal breaker (I could always use a USB dongle) but it would've been nice to have had the option. However, I noticed a lot of photos of the inside of Elitebooks showed no WWAN card but you could clearly see that the aerials for it were there. I kept my fingers crossed and sure enough mine came WWAN ready, if you like. I've just bought a WWAN card off ebay. Only £35 ($44) from China. Okay, so it's a bit of a chance and it's probably a copy but I thought for that money, why not? I haven't had a chance to fit it yet, though.

HP Recommended

Yes, I am in the US. It sounds like your Elitebook is configured the same as mine. I think we're just using different words. When I say there's no SIM tray, I mean the part that you insert the SIM card into, that goes into the SIM slot. That was left out, and I can't insert the SIM card without it.

HP Recommended

Hi Jrychart,

Hmmm. Okay, so just to clarify, you have a SIM slot like in the diagram in the second post? Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but I want to make sure here. There is no tray as such that you insert the SIM card into. The SIM card just pushes into the SIM slot. I guess you could say there is a SIM tray but that's inside the chassis behind the SIM slot. Are you saying that you don't have that part?

HP Recommended

Oh, really? Then I guess I'm not missing anything. Maybe I'm just using the wrong size SIM card. I tried inserting the SIM from my mobile, and it didn't seem to go in properly, regardless of what way I inserted it. Do you know what size it's supposed to use? Is it a mini-SIM, or a nano-SIM?

HP Recommended

Hi. You need to use what we call over here a micro SIM. That's 12mm x 15mm. Push it into the SIM card slot with a finger, contacts side down, as far as it'll go. It'll stick out a little but we're not done yet. Now using the corner of your thumb nail or similar push the end of the SIM card so it all disappears into the SIM card slot. You should hear a click as it latches home. To get it out push it in a bit with your thumb nail or similar then let go of it. It'll unlatch and pop out a few millimetres so you can then pull it right out. Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.

HP Recommended

Oh, it's a micro SIM. Okay. Thank you. That's probably why it didn't fit. I was using a nano SIM. I appreciate the help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.