Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there,

I tried to connect my notebook to a wired connection, but it does not even recognize there is a cable plugged in. The cable modem port does not light up either. Wifi is working without any problems!

I tried several things:

- all drivers and Windows are up-to-date and I tried to reinstall it

- cable and cable modem are functional (other device has no problem at all)

- IPv4 is turned on

- ethernet port is not disabled

- ipconfig -d

- disable green ethernet

- turn wifi off
- IPv4 properties, so I specified a default gateway

- Windows Troubleshoot (can't do anything, as there is "no cable plugged in")

- HP System Diagnostics (see above)

Windows does not give me any error concerning this. "Device is working properly", the Location is PCI Slot 6 (PCI bus 9, device 0, function 0) if this is of any help...

I already read there is a problem if the computer uses a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

I was able to connect via LAN once, but that was a year ago at a LAN party where I was connected via a switch and not directly to a cable modem or router. Is there any difference, that could explain why it would not work now?

I just wanted to do it at home too.

I would appreciate help

Liz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Liz35,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would personally suggest this could be a hardware failure. If you want to use a Wired connection, you can purchase a USB to Ethernet adapter. 

If you want to have the PC repaired. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service options. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Liz35,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having issues connecting to the internet using Wired on your HP notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

What is the product number of your product? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

Did this happen after an update/upgrade to Windows 10?

Does it have a Red X next to the Ethernet connection on the system tray?

Have you tried to update the drivers from HP Support website?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Let's start off by uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers from device manager.

1. Go into device manager
2. Look for Network Adapters and expand it
3. Find your broadcom ethernet and right click and then click on Uninstall

4. Put the check next to Delete the driver sofware for this device.

5. Restart the PC, Once done it will look for the drivers automatically and install it.

• Since you've already reinstalled drivers, I would recommend using an Wireless connection go ahead and update your Ethernet drivers using this link 

• Update the bios by visiting this link or through support assistant using an Wi-Fi. 

• Now try to connect to the internet using Wired. 

If the issue persists, Please check for the status of the Network connection on the lower right corner of the screen, Does it have a yellow exclamation mark or red X.

Have you tried to swap the cables and check if that helps.

For more details, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wired Home Networks (Windows 10)

If you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, this could definitely be an issue with the PC itself as you are able to connect to the internet using other devices.

Before you could come to any conclusion, I would suggest you could perform a system recovery using the partition available on your PC. Doing this will wipe off everything and set the computer back to the original factory conditions. So, please remember to back up your data before initiating system recovery. If for some reason the recovery fails. The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

"What is the product number of your product"

W0X34EA#ABD

"Did this happen after an update/upgrade to Windows 10?"

I guess not, but I rarely tried using a wired connection.

"Does it have a Red X next to the Ethernet connection on the system tray?"

The taskbar does not even show the Ethernet icon as there is "Network cable unplugged", as it states at Control Panel > ...> Network Connections

"Have you tried to update the drivers from HP Support website?"

Yes, I did and also from Realtek website.

"...Wireless connection go ahead and update your Ethernet drivers using this link"
I already did that

"Update the bios by visiting this link or through support assistant using an Wi-Fi."

Tried this now, but no change.

"Have you tried to swap the cables and check if that helps."

Yes, I already did that

"For more details, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wired Home Networks (Windows 10)"

I tried most of it apart from system recovery because I hoped for another solution. Right now I'd rather not risk it if anything goes the wrong way with that.

Thank you for your help

HP Recommended

Hi @Liz35,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would personally suggest this could be a hardware failure. If you want to use a Wired connection, you can purchase a USB to Ethernet adapter. 

If you want to have the PC repaired. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service options. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.