Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15t-ae100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having perisisten connectivity issue of by Apple airpods pro headphones with my HP Envy laptop. 
It either:
1. Does not connect. I need to go to bluetooth menu and manually connect
2. If/once it connects, the sound is extremely choppy and breaking up for few minutes

3. Once the uninterrupted connectivity is established, the sound quality is extremely poor. Its almost as bad as a poor AM reception on radio station

I have had the same problems with my Bose Soundsport wireless headphones. 

I tried pairing the same Apple airpods pro with a Macbook, and it connected instantaneously (as expected) and sound quality is wayyyy better than when it connected to my HP laptop.

I have already tried updating the driver and BIOS but to no avail.

Last resort I am thinking is replacing the WiFi/LAN Card. My Laptop has Broadcom card BCM943142YHN_2/REV 02/SPS# 792608-001.

My question is: Do I need to get the EXACT same card as above or can I get a different, better, improved card? I see the same card available with REV 03 and REV 04. I assume it stands for Revision? 
Here is the picture of the card:
photo-1.jpg

Any tips or suggestions would be very helpful.

Thank you 
Amar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Amar:

I believe that your notebook has a BIOS whitelist which prevents wifi adapters not listed in the service manual from working.

Your screenshot seems to show that there are two wifi antenna wires connected to the Broadcom wifi card.

If that is the case, I recommend you try the Intel 7265 wifi card listed in chapter 3 of the service manual...

HP ENVY Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter (non vPRO) HP part # 793840-005.

It is very important that you only buy a card with this part number or it will almost assuredly not work.

Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

The best place to look is on eBay.  Only buy a card where you see a photo of the actual card for sale, not some stock photo, and that you see the above part number on the wifi card.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi, Amar:

I believe that your notebook has a BIOS whitelist which prevents wifi adapters not listed in the service manual from working.

Your screenshot seems to show that there are two wifi antenna wires connected to the Broadcom wifi card.

If that is the case, I recommend you try the Intel 7265 wifi card listed in chapter 3 of the service manual...

HP ENVY Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter (non vPRO) HP part # 793840-005.

It is very important that you only buy a card with this part number or it will almost assuredly not work.

Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

The best place to look is on eBay.  Only buy a card where you see a photo of the actual card for sale, not some stock photo, and that you see the above part number on the wifi card.

HP Recommended

Paul
Thank you bunch for that information. I found following available on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Wireless-AC-802-11ac-Wi-Fi-Bluetooth/dp/B00STV5UKW

Looks to be the right one. Can you please check?

Amar

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The card you posted from Amazon has a different part number, so I doubt it will work.

You will probably only be able to find one on eBay.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Paul

That sounds good. Just curious why you recommended this over the other one? Purely because of the price difference? However, this one is used vs the other I posted the link for were new.

Amar

HP Recommended

I recommended that one because it actually has a label with that exact part number on it.

If you look at all of the others, they have a SPS # that is 793840-001, not 005.

While the one I selected may also end up being the same card, it does have the exact HP part number referenced in the manual.

The HP part number label is covering the SPS number, so it is not visible.

HP Recommended

Perfect, thank you. I hadn't noticed 😊
I will order the one you recommended.

I will let you know if there was any improvement once I put the different one. I hope it helps!

Sincerely
Amar

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Hopefully the card will work.

Those BIOS whitelists are very unforgiving.

If it does work, it should provide a few advantages...

1. Dual band AC wifi connectivity with connection speeds up to 867 MBPS with an excellent wifi signal using an AC router.

2. Bluetooth 4.2...the Broadcom card is BT 4.0.

3. Wifi and BT driver support into 2020.  The BCM card's newest drivers are from 2016.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.