Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
840 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just upgraded a Windows 7 PRO PC to Windows 10 PRO. The Windows 7 was a clean build with little HP functionality other than required drivers from both HP and newer Intel networking. The upgrade was done via Ethernet and the computer is mostly docked.

At some point I noticed that wireless stations were not available, so I ran HP Softpaq Manager and updated the drivers, including the WLAN and wireless button driver. This did not resolve the issue.  

The device IS enabled. The wireless menu indicates "Turn Wi-Fi back" and a drop down with Manually and some other hourly increments. If I click the Wi-Fi button I do see the available Wi-Fi connections for about 15 seconds and then the device returns to the disconnected state. The physical Wi-Fi button is enabled (white).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, I think it is a change with W10.

In W7 all you needed was to have the LAN/WLAN switching setting disabled to run both adapters simultaneously.

The wifi should work if you remove the ethernet cable with the LAN/WLAN switching setting enabled (default).

What I would do would be to completely undock the PC, remove the ethernet cable and see if the wifi works as expected.

Yes, it is terrible that HP provides zero information on the business notebook BIOS settings, but for most of the business desktops and workstations, they have a chapter in the service manual devoted to each setting, or even a separate document.

As far as if the BIOS update caused this issue, I would have no idea about that.  I would agree that it shouldn't have.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

When you are connected via ethernet cable, there is a LAN/WLAN Switching setting in the BIOS that you need to change from Enabled to Disabled so the LAN and WIFI work at the same time.

In addition to changing that setting, you have to do the following...

Go to the Windows control panel>system & security>administrative tools> services.

Stop the "HP LAN/WLAN/WWAN Switching UWP Service" and change the startup to manual.

Now both the WIFI and ETHERNET should work at the same time

HP Recommended

It will be a couple hours until I can test this.  In the meanwhile some questions please....

I am not aware this was an issue before the upgrade, but it's not my PC.  Is this a Win 10 change?

I did the BIOS upgrade to 1.30 from 1.27.  Would this have changed anything in the BIOS?  I tend to think not.

I interpret your response to mean that I can only have one running at a time (default config), so can I expect that if I disconnect the Ethernet the wireless will work?  In reality this is not an issue.  I see not good reason for concurrent use and encourage "docked" users to disable their wireless.

I mostly have 840 G1's and they seem to allow both concurrently.  The setting is checked ON for LAN\WAN Switching in  BIOS for these.  This G2 is the odd duck.

MY KINGDOM FOR A BIOS MANUAL FOR THESE (official or otherwise) - Honestly it's not much of a kingdom

HP Recommended

Yes, I think it is a change with W10.

In W7 all you needed was to have the LAN/WLAN switching setting disabled to run both adapters simultaneously.

The wifi should work if you remove the ethernet cable with the LAN/WLAN switching setting enabled (default).

What I would do would be to completely undock the PC, remove the ethernet cable and see if the wifi works as expected.

Yes, it is terrible that HP provides zero information on the business notebook BIOS settings, but for most of the business desktops and workstations, they have a chapter in the service manual devoted to each setting, or even a separate document.

As far as if the BIOS update caused this issue, I would have no idea about that.  I would agree that it shouldn't have.

HP Recommended

I was able to verify that when NOT connected via Ethernet that the Wireless works, great! Thank you.

I see the "HP LAN/WLAN/WWAN Switching UWP Service" on the G2, but not the G1.    Do you have any idea what driver installs the service?     Ideally I would like to get this operating on the older G1.

Do you know what might be some comparable desktop from the era?  I might be able to glean something from the BIOS docs.  Features should not be that different (he hopes)

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't know what driver installs that service.

There were no desktops made from any of the major PC manufacturers that I know of, that had 5th gen core processors like the EliteBook 8x0 G2 notebooks.  There were only a handful (5 to be exact) of 5th gen core processors made for desktops.

Desktops had either the 4th or 6th gen core processors, and for some unknown reason, skipped the 5th gens.

So...here are the service manuals from the HP Elitedesk 800 G1 (4th gen) and 800 G2 (6th gen) for your reading pleasure.

Hopefully, you will be able to get some useful info out of them.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04331008

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04832374

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.