Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 6930p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I recently bought a used HP EliteBook 6930p and installed windows 10 64 bit on it and for the most part it works, the old drivers still worked, in device manager everything is installed, no yellow "!" signs. But the Wi-Fi doesn't work. If I click on the network icon on the taskbar it says "Wi-fi turned off, turn wi-fi back on (either manually or in 1, 4, 24 hours)" but it doesn't turn on. In device manager It shows up as Intel wifi link 5300 AGN. I tried to find the latest driver for it but so far none of them worked. The wifi capacitive button is always orange, even in bios. The only setting in bios I could find is wlan/lan switching but no luck with that. If I open Hp quick launch buttons, the wifi button doesn't  even show up, only the hp info center and presentation buttons. Then I opened up the back tray of the laptop where a pci wifi card is supposed to be but there was nothing there. Is the intel one somewhere else? So I had some wifi cards laying around and I tried to put two of them in the pci slot but neither of them got recognized at all. they didn't show up in the device manager even after turning the "view hidden devices" options on. I tried to install hp connection manager but it say that there is no wifi so it didn't even start. So is my only sane option a wifi usb dongle? Please help.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have a 6930p notebook and the Intel 5300 works fine on the latest build of W10.

I did not have to install any drivers...just did an upgrade from W7 to W10.

The wifi card is located under the keyboard.   The slot under the access cover on the bottom is for a mobile broadband (WWAN) card.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02514991

There are only W7 drivers for the card.

I recommend you go to the device manager and see if changing any of the advanced settings gets the card to work.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Make sure the 802.11 N mode is enabled.

Enable WMM

Roaming aggressiveness...set to low or lowest.

Make sure the transmit power is set to highest.

Installing a different model wifi card is not an option.

The notebook has a BIOS whitelist which prevents the installation of any wifi card not listed in chapter 3 of the service manual, and the card must have the HP part number on it or it will not work.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. These steps didn't work, although I continued messing around in the properties and what eventually solved the problem was unchecking the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Thanks.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.