Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 840 g3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everybody,

I have an Elitebook 840 g3 with Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, the bluetooth doesn't work and it doesn't compare in the Bios options.

I have checked that the WiFi card ( Intel AC8260NGW ) integrate the bluetooth feature but I think that this machine has been sold without the option bluetooth...there is some workaround to activate it ? Or if I buy a new WiFi card ( for example I have found on Amazon some Intel AC9260 or AC8260 with Bluetooth so the laptop can detect a new card and start to work fine ?

Thanks in advance to everybody that can help me

Davide

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi, Davide

Check to make sure the bluetooth is enabled in the BIOS.

The AC8260NGW wifi adapter is definitely a combination wifi/bluetooth adapter.

Some 840 G3's came with downgrade rights to W7 Pro from W10 Pro.

If the PC ever had W7 on it, and was upgraded to W10 or W10 was clean installed, it is very possible the bluetooth was turned off with the W7 connection manager software and no bluetooth devices show up in the device manager even though it shows the Bluetooth is present and enabled in the BIOS.

See if you can get the bluetooth to show up by making a bootable USB installer from the link below.

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Boot from the Ubuntu installer and select the option to 'Try Ubuntu without installing.'

See if you can turn on the bluetooth device in Ubuntu.

If you can, turn it on, and shut down the notebook.  Remove the Ubuntu installer, and now the bluetooth should be working when you are back into Windows.

If that doesn't work, then the bluetooth radio on the wifi card is probably no good and you should be able to replace the card with the Intel 9260 AC non VPro model.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Wireless-Ac-9260-2230-Gigabit/dp/B079QH5KW1

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I will try with an Ubuntu Live... ( I have to wait when my wife  finish to use laptop 🙂 )

But for the new card, are you sure non vPro Edition ? In the description of the card in Amazon I see that it's only for

8th Generation Intel Core processors (older PC or other processors may not work)...

Hp_840G3_Intel_vPro.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't think your notebook has any restrictions to what card you can install.  It should work.

If you don't feel comfortable installing the 9260, then you should order the same card you have now.

I have the 9260 in an old HP desktop with an Intel 2nd gen core processor, and it works just fine.

If your notebook has Intel vPro then you can get an Intel vPro card as well.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I tried with the Ubuntu via Usb but it don't detect any bluetooth device..( see attached photos)

I have forgotten to say you that the Bluetooth options doesn't appear in the Bios...

I have already updated the Bios to the last version...

HP_840g3_Bluetooth_1.jpgHP_840g3_Bluetooth_2.jpg

HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't work but you had nothing to lose by trying it.

Since the BT radio doesn't show up in the BIOS either, the BT radio on the wifi card must be dead.

I don't know what else it could be.

If you want to take a chance with the 9260, this one should work for you.

https://www.amazon.it/1-73Gbps-wireless-Bluetooth-Scheda-Laptop/dp/B07RL2Z794/ref=sr_1_33_sspa?__mk_...

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I agree...I have already ordered to Amazon...so this weekend I can try to fix this issue...

I will update the thread just I receive the new card .

Have a nice day

Davide

HP Recommended

Hi, Davide

Looking forward to the results of your wifi card upgrade project.

Here is the link to the service manual in case you need it.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04887250

You have a nice day too!

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

how are you ?

We are in full lockdown...

I tried with the new card ( Intel AC-9260 ) but the Bluetooth hasn't been detected...

I have revised in the bios and there isn't the option and then I tried with an Ubuntu Desktop Live using the command rfkill...

The last hope it's try to put an insulating tape with the 2 pin of the b-side...

I'm also thinking to the fact that the laptop has been sold without the Bluetooth...but now I'm sure that it's not an issue of the card...both the cards ( the old AC8260 and the new AC9260 ) are OK...It could be that the Bios has some protection to permanently disable the Bluetooth also if present ?

IMG_0266.jpgIMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi, Davide:

Sorry that the BT isn't working on that card either.

Absolutely agree with you that it is a problem with the notebook itself, not the cards.

What that could be, I do not know.

Well, at least now you have a better card with double the wifi throughput of the 8265.

I hope that you and your family remains safe and healthy throughout this pandemic.

We are fine here so far--southern Illinois outside of St. Louis, MO.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.